Post:Premises Officer Designation: Support Staff Contract, Fixed Term to December 2017 Salary:Sixth Form Support Staff Scale 18 – 21 (£16,804 - £17,946) (£9,083 - £9,700 pro-rata) Hours:20 hours per week, Monday to Friday 10am to 2pm (flexible in line with business needs) all year.
Responsible: Premises Manager Job Purpose: To provide general Premises related support. Key Responsibilities and Duties
• To undertake general porterage duties with regard to incoming deliveries to the college; • Assisting in identifying routine building maintenance needs;
• Ensuring the security of the premises and its contents, including the undertaking of opening up and locking-up procedures as instructed by the Premises Manager;
• To work flexibly to meet the needs of the College letting duties as required (with appropriate notice);
• Ensuring that the main entrance, reception area and front steps are kept clean, tidy, and capable of matching the legitimate expectations of all those accessing the College;
• Undertaking general domestic and cleaning duties as required inside the buildings and in the grounds;
• To carry out general maintenance, including painting and decorating as required; • Movement of college furniture and equipment within the college and between buildings;
• To attend premises related matters;
• To participate in the college's energy saving management programme, covering gas, electric, water and recycling;
• To assist in the management of areas of the college site e.g. car parking, lettings, by providing and maintaining up-to-date records of authorised users and facilitating external events;
• Assist in maintenance of stock lists and inventories of equipment and furniture;
• Reporting issues to the Premises Manager / Assistant Principal as appropriate;
• Taking and verifying gas, electric and water meter readings;
• Maintaining a safe and healthy environment for all users; • Undertake risk assessments in relation to the premises function;
• Carry out regulatory testing as required and maintain appropriate documentation;
• Have knowledge of use and maintenance of fire precautions and equipment;
• Maintaining the College grounds including grass cutting, shrubbery planting and maintenance, weeding of flower beds;
• Committed to equality, diversity and safeguarding practice with young people and vulnerable adults;
• To carry out other reasonable duties/activities required by the Principal and Assistant Principal. General Duties
• To support the College’s mission, vision and strategic objectives.
• To implement the College’s equal opportunities policies and to actively challenge discrimination on grounds of race, sex, disability, sexuality, age or status in the College.
• To participate and contribute to staff development.
• To implement the College’s Health and Safety Policies and practices.
• To implement the College’s commitment to continuous improvement and its quality assurance process.
• To maintain up-to-date knowledge of current developments in relevant fields of education and IT.
Notes This job description allocates key duties and responsibilities but does not direct the particular amount of time to be spent on carrying them out and no part of it may be so construed. The job description is not necessarily a comprehensive definition of the post and is subject to review following consultation.
Person Specification Essential Desirable Qualifications Level 2 English and Maths NVQ level 3 in an appropriate discipline
Additional Premises/Facilities related qualifications (e.g. COSHH, NEBOSH, IOSH) Skills, Knowledge and Experience Commitment to the provision of effective customer care Effective interpersonal skills Awareness of security issues and how these apply to educational institutions Experience of MS Office packages and good IT skills Experience of working with students in a sixth form college setting Awareness of Health and Safety, estates and premises / facilities requirements in a listed building
Personal Attributes Ability to learn quickly and change priorities to meet the needs of the department Ability to be adaptable and flexible Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team Discretion, professionalism and ability to maintain confidentiality Ability to communicate well with others
Competencies Support staff should be able to demonstrate competency in the following areas: Communication Planning and Organising Working Together Student support. Adaptability/Flexibility Coordination and leadership.
• Free use of the sports hall / gym facilities on site.
• Employee assistance programme and wellbeing initiatives.
• Free onsite parking.
• Local government career average pension scheme.
• 34 days’ annual leave inclusive of college closure days and bank holidays (rising to 37 after five years’ service).