Qatar Academy Al KhorQatar
Contract type: Full Time
Contract term: Fixed Term
Start date: Commencing 2021-22 School Year
Suitable for NQTs: No
Qatar Academy-Al Khor (QAK)
Qatar Foundation is growing rapidly and looking for outstanding educators to join its team. Qatar Foundation focuses on education, science, current innovative research, community development, and, therefore, seeks qualified individuals to support its ambitious goals. If you smile when you think about children, when you’re talking to parents, when you’re discussing new ideas in education, and when you’re removing barriers to learning, you may be the leader we’re looking for.
The Foundation’s work in the field of education has brought prestigious international universities to Qatar to develop an education sector in which young people acquire the attitudes and skills needed to build a knowledge-based, competitive economy. The main science and research agenda is to build Qatar's innovation and technology capacity by developing and commercializing solutions through key sciences. The community development program’s aim is to foster a progressive society, while also enhancing the cultural landscape, protecting Qatar's national heritage, and addressing immediate social needs in the community.
In pursuit of excellence in education, Qatar Foundation Schools (QFS) is seeking an exceptional educational leader to serve as the Primary School Principal of Qatar Academy Al Khor, effective August 2021.
Details of the position, including qualifications, attributes, and responsibilities, is included in this document. Qatar Foundation offers highly competitive packages that make it one of the top employers in Qatar and throughout the region.
Founded in 2008, Qatar Academy Al Khor is one of the QF’s longer-established schools. It is located in the coastal city of Al Khor, about 50 kilometers north of the capital city of Doha. Currently, the school serves the education needs of approximately 1300 students from the age of 3 to 18 (EEC- Grade 12), meeting the needs of the rapidly growing community of Al Khor. Our current population is comprised predominantly of students from the local and regional communities. However, QAK teaching staff is drawn from a diverse background of many nationalities to promote an international educational approach and support international-mindedness. Students are placed in mixed gender classrooms in Primary Years Program (PYP, PreK-Gr. 5), in gender-segregated classrooms in the Middle Years Program (MYP, Gr. 6-10), and mixed-gender classrooms in the Diploma Program (DP, Gr. 11-12).
The school moved into its campus in 2016; a new, state of the art complex of 150,000 m2 in Al Khor. This outstanding campus is spread over 9 buildings with 137 classrooms, 21 laboratories for the disciplines of Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Design Technology, seven Art studios and four Music classrooms. The facilities include a recreation center that spreads over 14,000 m2 with a football pitch, basketball and volleyball courts, two gymnasiums, and a swimming pool.
This contemporary design brings together innovations that reflect current and future developments in education. This is evidenced by the use of environmentally responsible materials and energy. At full capacity, the school will accommodate 1800 students.
With the three bilingual International Baccalaureate (IB) programs being implemented, PYP, MYP and DP, QAK aims to be an education role model for the Arab region, maintaining the highest national and international standards of academic excellence. The school is accredited by the American-based Middle States Association Commissions (MSA).
Inclusive education is one of the core principles of Qatar Foundation Schools, and QAK provides support structures and services for students with diverse learning styles and abilities. At the heart of our success comes a holistic approach to educating the whole child. We strive to develop our students’ academic, social, physical and emotional needs in a nurturing, collaborative environment while committing ourselves to the professional learning of all staff.
To empower students to be open-minded, inquiring and knowledgeable life-long learners who are able to adapt to an ever-changing world through intercultural understanding and respect.
We envision our future leaders as courageous problem-solvers who will make a positive difference to the world.
To create a safe, yet dynamic learning environment that inspires innovation. QAK empowers learners to think critically as compassionate and principled global citizens grounded in Arab values, while celebrating Qatari National heritage and culture.
Who We Are
At Qatar Academy Al Khor:
- We offer a dual Language model delivered in English and Arabic in the PYP at grades PreK-5. In the MYP and DP, grades 6-12, the medium of instruction is English, while teaching Arabic Language, Qatar History, and Islamic Studies in Arabic with the aim of graduating students with a bilingual IB Diploma.
- QAK teaching staff is of diverse backgrounds and many nationalities to promote our international approach and support international-mindedness.
- We provide support structures and services for students with diverse learning styles and abilities.
- We take a holistic approach to educating the “whole child”: developing academic, social, physical and emotional needs in a nurturing, collaborative environment.
- We are committed to the professional learning and growth of the faculty and the greater QAK Community by providing quality professional development opportunities.
In collaboration with the Educational Leadership Team and the Administrative Team, the Primary School Principal is responsible for the effective development, delivery, and evaluation of all educational programs, including academic and pastoral elements.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Education or an Honors Degree, QTS and postgraduate qualifications in educational leadership
- Relevant experience in the field of teaching in Primary Education
- Knowledge & experience with PYP implementation in Primary Education
- Experience of responsibility and leadership capacity in an educational setting
- Experience building and maintaining an effective school culture with high consideration for cultural sensitivities and values of the school and the community
- Understanding, knowledge, and implementation of best educational practices
- Understanding and experience with fostering interdisciplinary planning and teaming
- Understanding and experience in integrating technology into the curriculum to improve student achievement
- Understanding and experience in analyzing data and developing improvement/action plans
- Highly effective interpersonal, leadership, and written & oral communication skills
- Bilingual (Arabic/English) preferred.
- Knowledge of ELL best practices (Preferred)
The following are key attributes sought in the successful candidate:
- Positive, flexible and ambitious
- Goal oriented; a planner and focused
- Inspirational, thoughtful, sensitive, proactive
- Strategic, supportive, adaptable, a community builder
- Knowledgeable, resilient, dynamic, emotionally intelligent
- Problem-solver who evaluates, compares and relates information, identifies broader implications of proposed solutions across the organization and uses own experience and evidence from theory, other industries and technologies to identify problems and understand situations
- Child-centered leader who has strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to create a dynamic and positive school environment conducive to student learning, academic progress and social-emotional wellbeing
- Ability to solve problems, think creatively to find solutions, remain professional, calm, and focused in crisis situations
- Ability to anticipate problem issues before they arise and make plans to overcome them
- Ability to communicate clearly and in a timely manner when making decisions or drafting plans
- Ability to engage staff in a shared, collaborative leadership model, in which all staff have an opportunity to contribute to policies, processes and systems
- Willingness to demonstrate continuous professional growth by seeking a variety of opportunities
- Willingness to support school decisions and maintain positive staff morale
- Willingness to show respect and support for the local culture and traditions and engage with staff to do the same
- Willingness to lead by example
- Ability to review existing policies to enable effective problem solving and sound judgment accordingly
- Ability to exhibit sound judgment in order to anticipate potential implications of all decisions; balance benefits and risks to identify areas of uncertainty
- Ability to evaluate information through penetrating questions, thus ensuring complete information is available to make informed decisions
- Ability to arrive at well-researched decisions that balance quality service and cost
- Ability to encourage and support appropriate risk-taking by subordinates when making decisions
Roles & responsibilities of the Primary School Principal:
The Primary School Principal will:
- Report to the Director in leading a primary school of approximately 900 students, Early Years to Grade 5
- Oversee the smooth operation of the primary school on a day to day basis including the facility and grounds, health, safety and safeguarding
- Facilitate distributed leadership throughout the school
- Empower innovation and creativity in the classroom
- Monitor student achievement data and engage teachers in utilizing data to drive instruction
- Emphasize the importance of student social, emotional, and physical wellbeing as a primary goal for all staff
- Promote an environment of collaboration towards a set of shared goals focused on student achievement and well-being
- Oversee the continuous development and implementation of the Primary Years Program in a multilingual setting where there is a focus on shared approaches to teaching of language
- Demonstrate strong pedagogical leadership with a deep understanding of the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program
- Foster and maintain strong relationships and communication with parents and create opportunities to engage parents as partners in the education of their child
- Ensure the preparation and documentation of all necessary school-based and Pre-University Education reports
- Implement and continuously develop a teacher evaluation system that focuses on growth and development centered around student learning
- Maintain supervision protocols that ensure the safety of all students
- Create a positive, vibrant school environment focused on the social, emotional and academic well-being of students
- Participate on committees outside the school to represent QAK and support QF Schools in the development of policies and systems for our community of schools
- Work closely with the school leadership team on policies and systems for the continuous development of the school
- Work closely with the leadership to ensure the recruitment of qualified and experienced staff who wish to be part of a dynamic and responsive learning community
- Work as a member of the school leadership team on policies and systems for the continuous development of the whole school, preschool to grade 12
- Perform all other duties as assigned by the Director
Salary and Benefits
Salary is highly competitive and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. Benefits include a tax-free salary, housing, health, life and long-term disability insurance, annual home leave, shipping allowance, gratuity and tuition benefits for PreK – grade 12 school-age dependents.
Candidates wishing to learn more about QAK can go to the school’s website at: https://qak.edu.qa/ .
The deadline for receipt of applications is 10th December 2020. The review of files will begin as soon as applications are received, and interviews will be scheduled in January 2021. Candidates should note that Qatar Foundation Schools reserve the right to appoint the successful candidate at any time, even before the deadline mentioned, if an exceptional candidate is identified early in the process. For this reason, interested candidates are encouraged to apply at the earliest possible time.
Candidates should complete in full the application form. In compliance with Safer Recruitment principles, applications with incomplete application forms will not be considered. Also, candidates should provide a statement of educational philosophy, including an explanation of why they believe they are the right person for the position. This may be included on the application form.
Applications should be addressed to the Director, Mr Daniel Harrison, email@example.com and copied to the Executive Director of QF Schools, Mr. Stuart Leeming, c/o firstname.lastname@example.org.
Qatar Foundation Schools is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and the vulnerable, and expects all who apply to share in this commitment. Offers of interview and employment will be subject to an enhanced background and criminal record check. All employees, volunteers and visitors in QF schools are subject to the provisions of the QF Schools Child Protection Policy.
Equality and access
Qatar Foundation Division of Pre-University is committed to ensuring that applicants and employees from all sections of the community are treated equally and not discriminated against, and we welcome applications from candidates with additional needs and disabilities.