The British International School of New York (BIS-NY) is a dynamic and nurturing community educating children in a stunning waterside campus in Manhattan. We are proud to welcome families from around forty countries to our school, which delivers a distinct and innovative curriculum, combining the International Baccalaureate and English National Curriculum. Alongside this rigorous and engaging curriculum, the school is also committed to providing a broad and inspiring wider programme in Sport, the Creative and Performing Arts and Community Service. The warmth of relations across the school and close, constructive co-operation with families are other essential ingredients in what makes the school such a great place to work and learn. September 2016 was the tenth anniversary of BIS-NY and this post arises because of the continued growth and development of the school. The school opened a new Upper School programme from September 2018 offering Cambridge International IGCSE and A Level courses. We are looking for talented, committed and enthusiastic individuals to join our exceptional team of staff and help make BIS-NY even better.
This is an opportunity to join our primary years team to help deliver a high quality, inquiry-based programme for children across the primary school. We are an IB World school authorized to teach the PYP, and we are looking for a creative and dynamic teacher willing to model the IB Learner Profile and contribute to the daily life of a diverse international community. Experience with the PYP or English National Curriculum would be an advantage as would international experience with students of varied ability and background. All staff contribute to the co-curricular life of the school and a willingness/confidence to direct drama productions or coach sports teams could be an advantage.
• Be accountable for planning independently and collaboratively for our students’ diverse learning needs
• Planning based on agreed upon student learning outcomes as detailed in the English National Curriculum
• Involving students in planning for their own learning and assessment
• Planning PYP units of study which enable topics to be explored in depth
• Planning and teaching that develops each student’s reading, writing and speaking skills in all areas of the curriculum
• Planning and teaching that develops each student’s skills and understanding in numeracy and nurtures a love of mathematical inquiry.
• Teaching and applying the skills of Information Communication Technology (ICT) in all areas of the curriculum
• Addressing assessment matters throughout the planning process
• Creating meaningful and relevant student centred lessons and assessments that engage learners
• Planning and teaching which emphasizes connections between and among curriculum areas
• Using a variety of resources representing multiple perspectives
• Teaching using multiple types of inquiry
• Assessing student performances in a variety of ways and maintaining accurate student records
• Communicating regularly and professionally with parents
• Commitment to ongoing professional development
• Qualified primary school teacher
• Excellent communication skills and a willingness to adapt to the demands of an international school
• Passion for teaching young children
• Flexible and able to use own initiative
• Well organized and good time management skills
• Good ICT skills and committed to its use in the classroom
• International perspective
• Knowledge of IB or a willingness to learn
• A team player
Why work at BIS-NY?
Combining the IB, English National Curriculum and Cambridge International Examinations, BIS-NY ‘s unique curriculum inspires and challenges our students to develop a love of learning and develop as balanced individuals, academically successful and willing to take risks to face the challenges of an ever changing world of the 21st century.
Our students and teachers come from all walks of life, but the enthusiasm they share for learning and teaching helps to foster a unique sense of community that celebrates and thrives on diversity.
The British International School of New York is an IB World School authorised to teach both the PYP and MYP and we are looking to recruit creative and dynamic teachers who can model the IB Learner Profile and will contribute to the daily life of a diverse international community.
A strong commitment to collaboration and being part of a team is essential for those interested in applying to be part of our school community.
● Generous salary commensurate with experience.
● Comprehensive benefits package – medical, dental, vision, retirement plan with employer match.
● Lunch is provided free of charge.
● Subject to fingerprinting and background check.
● The post becomes available from September 2020.
Please upload a covering letter with your application form.