Do you want to use your skills and enthusiasm to deliver a diverse range of sporting, creative and social activities?
Do you want to develop your organisational and planning skills?
Do you want to gain experience with international students?
For more than 40 years, we've been helping young people from all over the world to improve their spoken English, get a taste of UK culture and gain valuable life experience. To date over 60,000 students have spent the summer with us on one of our high quality, British Council accredited courses! We take great care in choosing our residential centres, which are all based at beautiful and prestigious boarding schools, and we take equal care in choosing the staff we would like to look after these young people.
Who You Are
This role will suit a Graduate PE Assistant or Sports Coach or a PGCE trainee or NQT PE teacher
- a degree in a sports-related field
- worked with the age range of the students at our centres
- organised a variety of sports activities
- coached at least three of the sports we offer
- the ability to motivate students in a safe and enjoyable environment
- the flexibility to respond to the unexpected
- a sense of humour and enthusiasm
- a genuine interest in the welfare of young people
- assist the Recreation Director in planning and delivering the recreation programme incl. campus activities and sports competitions
- coach and referee your specialist sports
- support other staff on how to actively supervise activities
- ensure facilities and equipment are prepared and checked before and after sessions
- carry out risk assessments
- supervise students on excursions and in a residential environment
- organise activity sign ups and related paperwork
What Our Staff Say
"During my time with TVSS I have spent time at both the Epsom and Rugby centres and have found all my experiences to be personally rewardable and fully worthwhile. Not only did the role improve my organisational and managerial skills but keeps giving me the opportunity to do the recreational activities I enjoy! TVSS also enabled me to meet, know and work with some great people."
Simon – Senior Rec. Assistant 2014; Rec. Director 2015-2017
“My time with TVSS over the last five summers has been both rewarding and enjoyable. The Windsor staff are all willing to support and staff. The centres are all well equipped and the access to there amazing facilities means Recreation for the students is both fun and engaging. I cannot recommend working for TVSS enough as they have done so much for my career as well as making lifelong friends.”
Jonny – Rec. Assistant 2013; Senior Rec. Assistant 2014 - 2015; Rec. Director 2016-2017
Salary and Benefits
- Basic weekly salary from £385 plus 12.12% statutory holiday pay
- Paid preparation days
- Free full-board accommodation
- Minimum guaranteed three-week contract (with possible extension)
- Access to high quality facilities at the centres
- Funded First Aid at Work course
Recreation Assistants arrive at their centre 2 days prior to students to prepare for the beginning of the course.
Please visit our website at www.thamesvalleysummer.co.uk and click on Work For Us.
There you will find a full job description and our online application form.
If you would like more information or to chat about the role, please call Lisa Bishop on 01753 852 001 or email email@example.com
We appoint on a rolling basis so early applications are always encouraged. Candidates for these positions will have two Skype interviews as part of the appointment process. The first will be a Skype interview.
Please note that due to a large number of applicants we are only able to contact successful candidates. All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK as we do not sponsor work permit visa applications. Thank you for your understanding.
Thames Valley Summer Schools is committed to safeguarding and protecting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff to share this commitment. As part of our commitment:
- All references will be followed up
- Referees will be asked specifically if there is any reason why you should not be allowed to work with under 18s
- Any gaps in your employment history will need to be explained satisfactorily
- Proof of identity and qualifications will be required and photocopies of the original certificate will be taken
- All candidates are required to hold or undergo a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and/or provide a Certificate of Good Conduct from their local police (if based overseas)