Job Title: Care Worker
Salary: £20,111 to £22,280 (CW1-CW4)
Location: The Shires, Oakham.
If you really want to make your mark in a rapidly growing business that is committed to improving the lives of children and young people, we have the role for you!
We’re looking for a qualified Residential Childcare worker to join our team at The Shires based in Oakham. Someone who is motivated by helping other, patient and resilient would be perfect for this role.
About the School
The Shires is made up of three sites all within a 15 minute drive of one another. The sites consist of two Special Educational Needs (SEN) Schools and 3 Residential homes. We help care for and support 33 young people aged 11-19 and 8 young adults who have been diagnosed with Autism and may have accompanying learning disabilities, behavioural problems or medical conditions.
The ethos of The Shires is very much characterised by a ‘can do’ attitude. We want people who focus on the positive outcome of our children and take responsibility for helping improve the lives of our young people. We share the value of creating a safe and nurturing home and we want people who can be fair and respectful, in order to do the right thing to support everyone in our care.
About the Group
We are part of Acorn Care and Education and can promise you plenty of challenges, and a rich variety of opportunities to develop your career.
Acorn Care and Education provide education and care across 20 schools and 19 residential care homes nationally. Our vision is to build incredible futures by empowering vulnerable young people in the UK to be happy and to make their way in the world. Every day we improve the lives of thousands of young people, their families and communities through a relentless focus on caring and learning.
About the role
Do you want a rewarding Career? To make a positive difference to young people and their lives? Are you patient, empathetic, resilient and supportive? Yes? - We want you!
The Shires currently has an exciting and challenging career opportunity for a Residential Child Care worker, to join the supportive and friendly team.
Shifts are from 07.00 until 21.00 on a rolling 2 day on, 2 day off rota.
During these hours you will be working with the children within their day to day lives; Cook with them, play games and do activities, help them within their day and night routines and assist with any problems or personal care needs the young people may have. A key responsibility is to Safeguard all who are in our care and ensure they are safe and healthy.
Other duties include liaising with other staff, working to agreed care plans and keeping the home clean and tidy.
Who are we looking for?
- Are you responsible, friendly and caring? Can you work well within a team? Do you have great communication skills? Can you manage a varying workload?
- Do you have a passion for helping change the lives of young people with additional needs?
- Are you ready for a challenging but rewarding career?
If you have answered yes, we think you’d be great for this role and we are prepared to train and develop you. You must have an NVQ 3 or equvilent in Residential Childcare or more than 2 years experience in a similar setting.
- Provide a safe, caring and healthy environment where children can thrive and develop independence
- promote and celebrate diversity
- provide a wide range of exciting and challenging opportunities that meet the individual needs of the children
- Safeguard all young people and support them with their individual needs
- Integrate into the supportive team
- To record a log, details of incidents etc., as required by procedure
Please see the Job description for further responsibilities.
Why work for us?
- Opportunity to enrich the lives of young people and make a positive difference
- Continuous professional development and training opportunities
- Opportunity for Internal Promotion
- Potential overtime
- Free meals, Parking and Uniform
- 6.6 weeks holiday entitlement
- Life insurance
- Social activities
- “Your Wellbeing Matters”
- Employee Rewards Hub
Acorn Care and Education are committed to the safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. All successful applicants will be subject to fully Enhanced DBS. We expect all our employees and volunteers to share this commitment and strive to achieve the best possible outcomes for everybody in our care. A full application form must be completed with all employment dates accurate and gaps in employment accounted for.