Job Title: Bus Driver
Salary: £12.00 per hour
Permanent/ Fixed Term: Permanent
Hours: Variable hours available (Mornings/Evenings)
Queen Ethelburga’s is set in more than 220 acres of beautiful North Yorkshire countryside, on the Thorpe Underwood Estate. Staff work as one team – whether they are directly teaching or supporting students as part of the school and pastoral teams, or as part of our estates team making sure that the campus works as it should – to create a vibrant learning and living environment in which every student can thrive. We aspire to excellence, have high expectations of ourselves and others, and take pride in everything we do. We aim to nurture resilient, confident, and independent lifelong learners. The Queen Ethelburga’s Collegiate Standard is ‘To be the best that I can with the gifts that I have’.
We are searching for a Bus Driver to join our dynamic Estates team as a member of Transport Fleet, offering a bespoke bus service for our students. Our drivers are responsible for collecting our pupils in the morning and to return pupils after school to the designated points, the location of which will be dependent upon the route allocated. This is a rewarding and fulfilling job within the collegiate where a good sense of humour, tact and diplomacy, a warm friendly personality with the ability to adjust are essential!
This job description is written at a specific time and is subject to change as the demands of the Collegiate and the role develops. The role requires flexibility and adaptability and the employees of the Collegiate need to be aware that they may be asked to perform tasks and be given responsibilities not detailed in this job description.
Key Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Picking up pupils from and return pupils to a designated point on the allocated bus route.
- Manage the safe passage of pupils to and from school, ensuring pupils’ safety at all times.
- Manage the behaviour of pupils on the bus, ensuring relevant rules are adhered to.
- Report any inappropriate behaviour to the relevant senior member of staff.
- Ensure the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition before and after use.
- Communicate effectively with parents as necessary.
- Undertake training as requested by the Line Manager.
- Undertake any other duties requested by the Line Manager.
The Appointed Candidate will have:
- Been educated to GCSE/O level standard
- A valid, clean UK driving license
- Hold a D1 unrestricted license
- Hold a PCV license (Desirable)
- Experience of working in a similar role
- Experience of working with children or in a school environment
- Some knowledge of Health & Safety regulations as they relate to the role (Desirable)
- Knowledge of the highway code
- Knowledge of first aid (Desirable)
- Ability to drive
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with other staff, pupils and parents
- Free staff gym
- Free staff carpark
- Annual free family summer barbecue
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Subsidised school fees for staff children
- Annual free black tie Christmas Ball for staff and a guest.
- Workplace Pension Scheme
QE is committed to ensuring a safe environment for its pupils and staff. Applicants will be required to provide proof of identity and undergo the relevant DBS checks for their role.
Any personal information you share with us on your application form will be used solely for recruitment purposes. Your details will be held for up to 6 months and destroyed after this time.
Any questions on individual roles or the recruitment process can be sent to the HR department on firstname.lastname@example.org
We receive high volumes of applications, due to this if you have not heard from us within two weeks of your application, unfortunately on this occasion your application will not have been successful.
Queen Ethelburga’s Collegiate is an ‘Excellent’ rated (ISI 2019), boarding and day school for girls and boys, aged 0 to 19 years.
We are four schools in one happy community, blending the best of international and British educational ideals. We have a...