Job Start: 01 December 2019
Location: Könneritzstraße 47, Leipzig, Germany and Karl-Heine-Straße 95, Leipzig, Germany
Contract: part-time (24 h/week, ideally 3 days per week), initially time limited contract of employment for two years, extension possible
Leipzig International School is an independent non-profit day school for students from Nursery to Grade 12. It provides a high-quality international education, conducted predominantly in English, to children of all backgrounds, thereby supporting a diverse community and promoting international understanding. Over 190 staff members from all over the world work together to create a stimulating and exciting learning environment for our children whose families come from over 70 countries. Established in 1992, the school has grown and developed significantly over the past years. It operates at two locations: on Könneritzstraße (School, Grades 1 through 12) and on Karl-Heine-Straße (Kindergarten).
Are you interested in becoming part of an international team? Do you believe that education is about learning how to become a citizen of the world? Then we are looking forward to hearing from you!
We are looking for a School Nurse to start on 01 December 2019.
The School Nurse works in partnership with the school to create a healthy environment for students and staff, and to respond to the needs of individual children, providing appropriate health services and demonstrating care and concern for students and staff. The School Nurse is a member of the Student Support Services Department.
Your tasks and responsibilities:
- Assist with the organisation and provision of appropriate medical and nursing care for students and staff in a caring, supportive and confidential environment; handle medical emergencies, minor injuries and mild illnesses on campus; administer medication as required
- Support students with health conditions; develop and implement Individual Health Plans and emergency plans in cooperation with parents/guardians and school staff
- Document care and maintain up to date medical records and relevant information securely; complete accident reports; act as a contact person for the school’s accident insurance company
- Maintain an orderly, comfortable and tidy health clinic; ensure that medical and first aid equipment and supplies throughout school are maintained and replaced as necessary
- Implement measures to control infectious diseases within the school community, following relevant procedures and guidelines in collaboration with the local health department
- Facilitate and disseminate relevant medical and health information to staff, liaising closely with teachers and other staff to ensure students medical needs are adequately cared for
- Provide or assist with classroom health education as requested, on topics related to health education (hygiene, balanced diet, sexual health, puberty, drugs education)
- Provide confidential health advice to individual students, upon request
- Provide information to the wider school community regarding health matters
- Assist with the planning, organisation and implementation of health promotion programmes and first aid training for staff
- Attend and contribute to Student Support Services meetings and relevant School Section meetings
- Initiate and organise case management meetings
- Develop a library with relevant texts for School Nurses, students, teachers and parents/guardians
- Manage the proportion of the budget allocated to Medical Support
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- Customer service oriented, with customer defined as students, parents and staff members
- Friendly and positive, with excellent interpersonal skills and a solution-orientation
- Able to quickly analyse situations and systems, always looking to maximise efficiency and effectiveness in a rapidly changing work environment.
- Excellent time-management skills, able to set and communicate about priorities
- A team player, able to both work with others and independently
- Skilled at general organizing and administrative processes
- Highly flexible during the work day, and able to work in a dynamic environment
- Able to remain calm and discreet in a busy environment, while maintaining an overview
- Official qualification as a medical nurse, preferably as a paediatric nurse
- Experience in handling emergencies is desirable
- Educational experience is desirable
- High competency in written and spoken English
- Effective verbal and written communication skills as well as the use of IT and new technologies
- Experience of working in an internationally-minded and diverse working environment is preferred
What we offer:
- A dynamic and diverse workplace
- The opportunity to be part of our school community and international life in Leipzig
- A modern workplace with excellent resources
- 30 days of vacation
The LIS strives for equal distribution of gender as well as for diversity.
The position will be filled as soon as the suitable candidate is identified.
Please only apply via our online application tool.