School Science Technician / Chemistry with General Science
Full Time / Term Time
From August 2019
Dollar Academy is seeking a suitably qualified and experienced Science Technician to work alongside teaching staff, and three other science technicians, in the busy science departments of this prestigious independent school.
Good organisational skills and relevant laboratory experience are essential, and a good working knowledge of MS Word, Excel and Outlook is desirable.
The successful candidate will be able to engage with staff and pupils and work flexibly across Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Junior Science.
• Prepare and provide relevant materials and equipment prior to lessons;
• Maintain the chemicals inventory, ensuring safe storage in accordance with current regulation;
• Work with hazardous chemicals in accordance with all health and safety practices.
• Prepare and set out equipment and materials for staff and pupils to conduct experiments;
• Provide technical support and assistance to staff and pupils during practical work;
• Ensure all laboratories are kept well stocked with chemicals and oversee safe disposal of chemical waste;
• Maintain apparatus, arranging repairs where necessary;
• Trial experiments and demonstrate new techniques/equipment to staff;
• Ensure appropriate safety checks are carried out and health and safety requirements are met;
• Prepare or review risk assessments in line with best practice;
• Maintain clear and orderly records and inventories of chemicals and equipment;
• In consultation with line managers, identify and arrange relevant training and development opportunities;
• Take responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of pupils.
The pro rata salary for this post will be £19,536.
This is a permanent, full time, term time post and normal working hours are 35 hours per week with one hour for lunch. An additional 10 days per academic session are factored in, over school holiday periods, to enable the technician to set up in readiness for the beginning of new terms, and to clear down at the end of school terms. Precise patterns of term and holiday hours are to be agreed with the Heads of Department.
Support staff at Dollar Academy are auto-enrolled in the Local Government Superannuation Scheme, to which the Governors contribute the statutory level of Employer’s Contributions.
Term time only – school holidays apply.
Employees whose children attend the Academy may be eligible for fee remission, and details will be made available to the successful candidate.
Disclosure Scotland Protection of Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme
All appointments at Dollar Academy are subject to the receipt of a satisfactory PVG Scheme Record or Scheme Record Update from Disclosure Scotland and the successful candidate will be asked to make a formal application, the cost of which will be covered by the Academy. Dollar Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment.
How to Apply
Applicants must complete the Academy’s Support Staff Application Form, which is available on the Academy’s website www.dollaracademy.org.uk A CV is optional.
Completed application forms, together with a covering letter, should be emailed to: email@example.com
The closing date for applications is Friday 26th July 2019
We hope to interview in early August.
Scottish charity no. SC009888