We are looking for a Science TAP* Coordinator (*Twyford Accelerated Programme) in a school which offers excellent opportunities for professional development. The new post-holder will be an enthusiastic scientist who is a strong classroom practitioner with a commitment to achieving the highest standards both academically and in terms of engagement with science. We are especially keen to appoint a chemistry specialist to this role.
The main purpose of this post is to set up a Year 9 – 13 extension programme to support progression for potential Grade 9 GCSE / A*A level students in Science onto related degree courses. The new post-holder will be excited by the opportunity to develop a programme of wiser learning activities to ensure top-end stretch at KS4/5 and to develop our resource bank and industry links preparing students for additional science examinations including Chemistry Olympiad, Oxbridge entrance papers and Cambridge Chemistry Challenge.
The school offers exceptional opportunities for professional development and you will be joining an incredibly talented and supportive science team comprising 19 teachers, 3 science technicians and 2 trainees. The department has recently expanded and there are now 12 dedicated science laboratories. The department offers an enriching and exciting curriculum with robust assessment systems, as well as an inclusive wider learning programme. At both GCSE and A Level student numbers are large and outcomes excellent.
Science results in 2018:
- GCSE Combined: 36.4% 9-7, 70.5% 9-5.
- GCSE Triple: Biology 80% 9-7, 100% 9-5; Chemistry 89.3% 9-7, 98.2% 9-5; and Physics 75% 9-7,100% 9-5. Overall combined and triple Science results meant our Science Value added placed us in the top fifth percentile for the third year running.
- A Level: Biology 67.9% A*-B and 94.3% A*-C; Chemistry 67.9% A-B and 88.7% A*-C, Physics 59.0% A*-B and 74.4% A*-C. Approximately a third of the sixth form move onto STEM related course post 18.
For more information about the school please see the Twyford CE High School and Twyford Trust websites. For more information about the role and how to apply please see the Job Description on the Twyford Trust website at: http://www.twyfordacademies.org.uk/recruitment/vacancies
The successful candidate will have:
- A good degree and Qualified Teacher Status
- Ability to teach Science to KS4 and at least one specialism (ideally Chemistry) to KS5
- Knowledge of the requirements of the National Curriculum
- An understanding of recent curriculum / learning developments
- An understanding of the strategies required to motivate and enthuse all students across the ability range as part of a whole school approach to raising achievement
- An understanding of the processes and techniques required to assess, record and report students’ learning effectively
- Ability to be reflective and driven towards self-improvement
- Energy and enthusiasm
- A commitment to the ethos of the school
- Exceptional professional development and career progression
- Positive working relationships at all level
- A supportive and lively Leadership Team
How to apply
Please visit the Vacancies page of the Twyford Trust website http://www.twyfordacademies.org.uk/recruitment/vacancies for more information about how to apply, and to download a Job description, Application Form and Letter to Applicants.
Applications must be submitted to HR/Recruitment at Twyford School by the closing date and time above. They can be posted to Twyford Church of England Academies Trust, c/o Twyford Church of England School, Twyford Crescent, Acton, London W3 9PP or emailed to email@example.com Please do not submit applications by fax.
Closing date: 12pm, Thursday 17 January 2019
Interview date: Thursday 24 January 2019
The Twyford Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The successful applicant will be required to undergo the child protection screening appropriate to the post, including an enhanced disclosure from the DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) and references from previous employers. For more information about the DBS please see https://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check
You will also be expected to sign and adhere to the school’s SAFEGUARDING CHILDREN & YOUNG PEOPLE and SAFE WORKING PRACTICE AGREEMENT which is available as a download on the school website Vacancies page.