Avenor College, a dynamic, selective and forwarding thinking school is seeking Teachers of Science to join us on our journey into the future.
As the school expands, we need to appoint enthusiastic and dynamic professionals to contribute to the teaching of Science throughout KS3-5 from August 2018. Applicants should be qualified science teachers and NQT’s are welcome to apply. Our science department of six colleagues and two well equipped laboratories, offers great opportunities for development. We currently offer coordinated sciences to all at IGCSE but want to develop the separate sciences more extensively. We offer Cambridge A levels in Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
For more information please take a good look at the Avenor College website: http://www.avenor.ro/en/careers-at-avenor-225/
We would welcome applicants who will fulfil the following Essential Characteristics:
- Be near-native or native level speakers of English;
- Be able to offer at least two of the sciences to IGCSE and one to A level with an international dimension;
- Be able to motivate and challenge able students by co-creating a stimulating learning experience;
- Be motivated to develop schemes of work and ensure that science is a central aspect of the whole school curricular and co-curricular experience;
- Inspire trust and confidence in students, parents and colleagues, with the ability to offer CPD to colleagues in your area of specialism;
- Promote the wider aspirations and values of Avenor College.
We value the following Personal Characteristics and would hope you might be able to demonstrate these:
- People oriented - building positive relationships; good team player and good team builder; excellent listener; fair and consistent;
- Positive outlook - in all respects a good role model who will lead by example;
- A high level of cultural sensitivity and the ability to treat all staff/students/parents equally regardless of nationality or background;
- Capacity for hard work; organised and prepared; a high degree of resilience;
- Healthy lifestyle;
- Interest and constant practice in their own personal development;
- Constant learner.
- A Competitive salary and benefits package including: high quality 1 bedroom apartment; flights; medical insurance for employee and dependents; 80% tuition support will be provided for any successful applicant with school-aged children;
- The position will be offered on an initial two-year contract term with annual renewal thereafter;
- Maximum IGCSE classes sizes of 18, small motivated groups of A level students;
- Continuing professional development opportunities;
- Maximum contact time 80%, the remainder being Planning, Preparation and Assessment time;
- A wonderful well equipped friendly environment in which to work, with a motivated team of science specialists;
- A great team spirit.
THE SCIENCE DEPARTMENT
The current science department consists of six members of staff, as well as many primary and nursery teachers delivering science. The department has two very well equipped laboratories as well as a dedicated space in the Primary school for science.
We teach a broad and balanced curriculum in our primary school following the Romanian national curriculum, but supplemented by teaching of UK National curriculum science. In middle school we currently offer Cambridge lower secondary science curriculum, culminating in checkpoint examination, students then progress onto IGCSE in Double award coordinated or the separate sciences. Some students move onto A levels, and we are currently delivering these in Biology, Chemistry and Physics. All courses are Cambridge examined.
The department is actively pursuing an AfL and AoL culture, students are expected to be active learners, and great critical thinkers, we want young people to see the examinations as experiences, hurdles that present challenge, but most importantly we believe that science is intrinsically fascinating, and we want our teachers to really ‘inspire’ the scientific education of tomorrows leaders.
- Please send your complete resume/CV, with a good-quality, recent head-and-shoulders photo to firstname.lastname@example.org or by using the quick apply on TES;
- Include a covering letter explaining your strengths, your reasons for wanting to work at Avenor College (and live in Bucharest), and a short statement outlining your educational beliefs;
- Additionally ensure that your CV/ TES application includes the names of at least three referees with their current phone numbers and email addresses.
Please be aware we take very seriously our duty of care towards all our students; as part of our safeguarding procedures we will undertake rigorous checks with referees, as well as requiring you to provide current police checks.
- Closing date: April, 25th, 2018
- First-round interviews - via Skype
- Final interviews for shortlisted candidates will be held at Avenor College, Bucharest, in April- May 2018.