Science Teacher - Chemistry
Senior School (Gr. 8-12)
1.0 FTE, Starting September 1, 2017
York House School, located in the heart of Vancouver, is one of Canada’s leading independent schools for girls. Founded in 1932 by seven progressive and insightful women, York House provides an outstanding education for approximately 650 girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12.
Overview of Position
York House School is inviting applications from compassionate, innovative and qualified Science Teachers committed to providing an exceptional 21st century learning environment for our girls. The successful candidate will demonstrate excellence in instructional and assessment practices, a passion for teaching, and a strong understanding of how girls learn best. This individual will also fulfill the role of Teacher Advisor each day and will have opportunities to be involved in the co-curricular and extra-curricular activities that enhance students’ experiences at school. This teaching position involves teaching full-time Science in the Senior School beginning September 2017.
- Bachelor of Education
- Master’s degree in Science or equivalent is an asset
- British Columbia Teachers certification or equivalent
- Secondary school qualifications
- Five years teaching experience is preferred; teaching Senior Chemistry
- Independent School experience is an asset
- Experience teaching Advanced Placement courses is an asset
- Coaching and/or extra-curricular experience is an asset
Desired Qualities and Competencies
- Strong knowledge of British Columbia Curriculum and pedagogy
- Knowledge of the current research on girls and learning, developing critical 21st century global capacities
- Demonstrated experience as a dynamic, innovative and enthusiastic educator
- Collaborative and flexible, supportive and effective team-player
- Ability to develop strong professional relationships with all stakeholders
- Exemplary communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Demonstrated commitment to educating the whole student
- Demonstrated ability to integrate technology purposefully to transform learning
- Demonstrated ability to differentiate instruction and assessment practices to meet the needs of individual learners
- Experience with using Understanding by Design as a framework to teach for deeper understanding
- Experience using an inquiry-based and project-based learning approach
- Demonstrated passion for innovation and creativity in education
- Committed to continuous professional growth and improvement
To learn more about this exceptional organization, please visit us at www.yorkhouse.ca.
A criminal record and vulnerable sector check is a requirement.
Please send a cover letter and resume, with references to:
Heather Kuzsel, Director of Human Resources
Closing Date: June 30, 2017
We thank all candidates in advance and will only contact those selected for an interview.