Science Teacher (TLR available for the right applicant)
Required: April 2020 or September 2020
St Mary’s & St John’s CE School, Bennett House, Sunningfields Road, Hendon, NW4 4QR or Stamford Raffles, Downage, Hendon, NW4 1AB (as required)
Reports to: Head of Department
Grade: MPS-UPS Dependant on experience
Contract: Permanent/Full time
Our first ever GCSE results this year were excellent for all the science subjects. To ensure the continued success of science at SMSJ as the school continues to grow, we require additional teaching staff within the science department. Additionally we require a Key Stage 3 Science coordinator to lead, manage, develop, and be accountable for the science curriculum at Key Stage 3, in order to ensure the highest possible standards of pupil achievement, personal development and wellbeing. This post would therefore be appropriate for NQTs, or for experienced teachers looking for departmental responsibilities.
• Ensure effective behaviour management systems are in place in line with wider school policies
• To operate as part of the Science Team and attend all relevant meetings
• To contribute, in a wider school capacity, to areas affecting the development of KS3 provision within Science as required
• To ensure effective monitoring and communication with parents regarding academic progress both in line with school reporting procedures and in response to specific concerns as they arise
• Additional duties as requested by the Head of Department.
• To operate at all times within the school’s Equal Opportunities framework.
• To take responsibility for knowledge of the school’s safeguarding and child protection policies and procedures, and demonstrate a commitment to promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young people in line with these.
For the right candidate a TLR is available with the following responsibilities:
• The strategic direction and development of Science at Key Stage 3
• Contribute to the development and implementation of effective teaching and learning strategies, including ICT-based developments
• Support the Head of Department in leading and managing staff including monitoring of teaching and learning, pupil progress and standards of achievement and performance management of staff
• Support the Head of Department in the efficient and effective deployment of staff and resources
• Coordination and development of the curriculum for Years 7, 8 and 9, including management of resources and assessment arrangements and extra- curricular activities. Management of all Key Stage 3 resources, including the development of schemes of work for each year group
• Research into new developments within Key Stage 3: investigating and piloting new initiatives in resources, class texts and teaching strategies.
The duties outlined above are in addition to those covered by the latest School Teachers’ Pay and Conditions Document. They may be modified by the Principal, after consultation, to reflect or anticipate changes in the job, commensurate with the salary and job title.
As a result of our success and continued expansion, we are seeking to appoint a dynamic and inspirational Teacher to join the Science Team at SMSJ. The successful candidate will be an outstanding practitioner, with the ability to teach across the age and ability range and driven to ensure that students receive the best possible experience of the subject by bringing creative ideas to the classroom.
St Mary’s and St John’s CofE School is an all-through school in Hendon, North London, successfully providing high quality education and academic achievement for children and young people from Nursery to Sixth Form. We are proud to be a diverse, multi-faith, harmonious school, with a distinctive Christian ethos, resolute in the belief that "With God, all things are possible". In a changing world our values; Wisdom, Service and Hope, define us, strengthen relationships with our parents and children, and provide guiding principles that enable us to deliver academic excellence and promote self-discipline and resilience.
All applicants are welcome to visit the school. Please contact Mrs Orphanou, Personnel Officer for further information or a confidential discussion.
Applications and supporting statements to be sent to: email@example.com and can be downloaded from our website: www.smsj.london
Closing Date for applications: Friday 21st February 2020
We reserve the right to close the application process early if suitable candidates apply.
The school and governing body are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. Each successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check along with other relevant employment checks