We are looking to appoint a flexible, organised and efficient technician to join the team in our large and busy Science Department, working across the key stages and covering Biology, Physics and Chemistry.
The post holder will assist in practical classes as required and will support the department in the organising and managing of practical resources including basic maintenance of equipment
Experience is desirable, although full training will be provided if required. If you think you have the necessary skills and experience and would like to work in a small and supportive team, we would like to hear from you.
The post is 35 hours per week (200 days per year).
Key Responsibilities/Job Description:
• Maintain all science laboratories and working areas, including prep rooms, store room and working surfaces.
• To provide specialist support to the science team, including the preparation and maintenance of resources
• Support teachers and students in practical demonstrations, as appropriate, on whole-group and individual basis. Advise supervisory and supply staff on work set, in the light of plans and requisition lists received.
• Prepare apparatus for experiments and, where necessary, devise special apparatus for particular needs, and maintain and store all apparatus, materials, equipment and tools for demonstration and practical work.
• Purchase from national/local sources, materials required for experiments and demonstrations and where appropriate collect from local area
• Check suitability of experiments suggested within various schemes of work and syllabuses, with regard to existing equipment available and also considering factors such as ability of students, group sizes and health and safety.
• Set up and operate technical equipment, including ICT facilities and equipment (projectors, computers and peripherals etc). Locate, download, and adapt materials from the internet and other sources to use as teaching aids and display/visual aids.
• Maintain and reproduce worksheets, examination papers and notices.
• Supports students’ access to learning activities
• Empty waste bins and recyclables and safely transport to disposal area.
• Ensure a safe working and learning environment for staff and students by clearing up spillages on work surfaces and floors, together with safe and clean maintenance of sinks and drains. Other specialist cleaning as required.
• Inspect fume cupboards and report any necessary repairs, including those to drains and services.
• Movement of equipment specific to the post
• Establish good working relationships with all academy staff, students, Trust staff and visitors
• Carry out any other duties commensurate with the grade and general responsibilities of the post
• Maintain health and safety and carry out all work in accordance with safe working practices.
• Comply with Health and Safety Regulations.