We are seeking a highly qualified and enthusiastic Science Technician, starting in September 2021. The Science department is well established at St. Charles and the successful candidate will join a team of four.
The Science Department consists of two full time teaching staff, two part-timers (including a senior manager) and a full-time lab technician. Courses offered are A level Biology, Chemistry, Physics and BTEC National Extended Diploma Level 3 in Applied Science. There exists a strong collaborative approach in the department and relationships are supportive. Most of the science students go on to take up university courses in medical, engineering and science subjects.
The science laboratories are well equipped with teaching resources and equipment for practicals. They recently benefitted from a £100,000 refurbishment programme. Class sizes are generally between 15 and 20. There are currently c.50 students studying Biology A level, c.40 students studying Chemistry A level and c.20 studying Physics A level. Another 40 students are following the BTEC programme (NQF from 2016).
- Preparation and assembly of apparatus and components for demonstration, class practical work, assessments and examinations.
- To prepare solutions and materials
- To ensure equipment and electrical connections, chemical solutions and other materials are left/stored in a safe and secure condition, ready for re‐use
- To undertake minor repairs and modifications when necessary and to assist in the construction of apparatus. Be responsible for the safe working of appliances
- Where applicable, to undertake reprographic duties and routine ‘resource’ tasks, as determined by the needs of the Science Department.
- The cleaning and maintenance of equipment and the neutralisation and cleaning up of spillages, including the cleaning of glassware and other equipment.
- Filing of paper resources on return to preparation room and duplication of resources as required.
- To undertake general tasks within the Science Department such as porterage and handyperson duties, including transporting supplies within the school, collection of materials locally, general maintenance of laboratories, preparation and store rooms.
- To ensure that any scientific debris or hazardous materials/spills are removed from the sinks, bench tops and other areas to provide a safe environment for cleaning staff and others. To deal appropriately with spillages during practical activities.
- Maintenance of laboratories and preparation rooms to ensure a clean, safe and orderly environment, including simple DIY work and the checking and maintenance of eye protection.
- To assist with practical examinations as may be required
- To invigilate examinations as directed by the Examinations Officer as required
- Manage the effective implementation of projects and Science initiatives
Please download an application form and the detailed job description from the documents below.
For more information please contact myself Miss Dodd on: email@example.com
The closing date for applications will be 5pm on 18th May 2021
Interviews to be held week commencing 24th May 2021
Please no agency applications.
The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. Candidates for vacant posts are expected to share this commitment and all appointments will be subject to appropriate vetting, including an enhanced DBS disclosure check. We are an equal opportunities employer.
St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College
Kensington and Chelsea
- Further Education
- Students of mixed gender, age 16 - 19 years
St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College is a co-educational further education college based in Kensington and Chelsea in London for students aged 16-19. It is a Roman Catholic college.
In terms of facilities, the college has recently refurbished scien...