Science Technical Assistant - Person Specification
Therfield’s Vision and Aims are at the centre of all that we do. We aim to achieve:
The Best for All - Excellence, Leadership, Opportunity At Therfield we aim for our young people to:
Strive for Excellence
• Gain the best qualifications they have the potential to achieve
• Develop enquiring and independent minds that will equip them for lifelong learning
• Develop the self–worth, self-discipline and respect for others that will make a positive impact on their community and their lives
• Develop the skills that will enable them to support one another to achieve extraordinary things
• Know the difference between right and wrong, to take responsibility for their actions and to stand up for what they believe in.
• Learn from experience to develop the adaptive skills and flexibility of mind to play a successful part in a changing global environment
- Celebrate achievement in its many forms
• Embrace learning and life as an adventure, and have the confidence to take advantage of the opportunities available to them now and in the future
Key Accountabilities: To support the Science department with their responsibility for the development and education of children at Therfield. To provide technician support for the Science department.
Salary S4 £16,737 - £19,580
Accountable to: Senior Science Technician and Head of Science
• Prepare and assemble apparatus, equipment and chemicals as required in preparation for practical lessons.
To assist colleagues in the delivery of practical support to engage students with their Science learning.
• Keeping up to date with current procedures and practices through continuing professional development
To provide general assistance in the safe storage, transit and accessibility of resources
• To support the team-leader / senior technician in ensuring the availability of suitable materials and equipment, helping to compile orders and liaising or negotiating with suppliers and This will include sourcing,costing and suggesting economic alternatives to maintain stock levels.
• Keeping up-to-date stock record
• the safe treatment & disposal of used materials including hazardous substances and responding to actual or potential hazards so that laboratories are ready for re-use
• Carry out minor repairs and modifications to equipment when necessary in order that all equipment is safe to use in line with Health and Safety Policy
• To liaise with colleagues to contribute to Science planning and the development of resources.
• To work as part of a team to ensure that the wellbeing, behaviour and personal development of students enhances their learning opportunities and life skills.
• To contribute to the life of the school community according to your talents and skills.
• To participate in arrangements made for the supervision and safety of students between lessons and at the start and end of the school day
• Provide a safe and clean environment for staff and pupils by ensuring that any scientific debris or hazardous materials or spills are removed in accordance with Health and Safety.
1. Qualifications • Good GCSEs including Science subjects.
2. Experience • Evidence of successful team working
• Ability to work effectively with young people in a school based setting.
• Capacity to work effectively as part of a team
• Excellent time management
• Able to clarify and explain instructions
• High professional standards and personal integrity
• Commitment to building positive relationships with students and parents/carers
• Self-motivated, setting challenging personal objectives and targets.
• Ability to communicate sensitively and effectively with colleagues, parents and students.
• Hardworking and committed
• Sound judgement
• Flexible and responsive to change
• Able to maintain confidentiality
• Qualifications related to teaching/working with young people
• A-level Science or beyond
• Experience of working within a school setting
• Knowledge of national educational developments
• Experience of working with young people to support learning
SAFEGUARDING The School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection training and screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.