Start Date: October 2019
Salary: ELSS Support Staff Pay Scale
Term: Term Time Only
To stand on the shoulders of giants
Just Teach! It sounds simple, but not everyone can do it. East London Science School is an intellectually ambitious and oversubscribed school which is seeking an exceptional science technician to help build our pupils’ growing subject knowledge and desire to know more.
This is an exciting opportunity for a highly committed and efficient individual and would suit a proactive and highly motivated person who will enjoy the challenge of working in a busy school environment.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and well organised individual with sound scientific knowledge to provide technical support to teachers in a successful and developing secondary school science department.
Key duties include:
Preparation of materials and equipment for science lessons
• Preparation of science materials and equipment
• Carry out risk assessments for technical activities
• Disposing of waste materials
• Collecting apparatus and chemicals from storage
• Preparing necessary solutions
• Checking individual components in and out for class use
• Arranging for apparatus including worksheets, books and audio-visual aids to be available, in rooms, for lessons
• Preparing experiments, setting up apparatus and equipment for demonstrations and practical lessons as requested by teaching staff
• Preparation of chemicals and solutions
• Liaising with staff over use of equipment and stock
• Advice staff of any problems, including safety aspects
• Assisting with collection and cataloging of sundry worksheets, books, audio-visual aids and materials
• Returning apparatus, etc. and chemicals to storage as soon as practicable
• Repairing damages or arranging for this to be done
• Constructing apparatus and equipment
Maintaining science laboratories
• Maintaining laboratory clean and tidy in conjunction with the teacher in charge of the room;
• Cleaning the sinks, chemicals on bench tops, spillage’s of chemicals on floor
• Storing materials tidily
• Keeping equipment clean
• Looking after animals, insects and plants kept by the department
• Cleaning of goggles
• Cleaning of safety screens, fume cupboards and other items
• Carrying out safety checks on equipment, e.g. Bunsen tubing etc.
Maintaining the stocks of science chemicals and equipment
• Taking stock of chemicals, consumables, stationery, books and breakable items
• Advise Head of Subject on stock replacement needs
• Checking deliveries
• Other professional and statutory roles and conduct as expected or requested by the Principal
Joining our school means joining a team of passionate individuals who are committed to supporting the changing face of education and also to contribute to the building of our school as we continue to grow over the years.
Closing date: 5th September 2019
Interview dates: TBC
The East London Science School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers. All successful candidates will be subject to an Enhanced DBS disclosure.
The Principal can be contacted via email: email@example.com
Alternatively you can find us on Twitter: @ELSS_freeschool