Surbiton High School is a friendly and vibrant community where people matter, results count and where a passion for excellence drives everything we do. Our inspirational staff are dedicated to creating an intellectually rigorous and challenging academic environment, making Surbiton High School a place where a passion and energy abound, a school with a real heart and soul, where we look beyond the A* to offer a breadth of opportunity which allows every pupil and staff member to flourish.
Surbiton High School seeks an enthusiastic Science Technician with specialisms in Chemistry / Biology.
Tenure: Permanent, full-time (39 weeks of the year) 8:00am – 4:00pm, Monday to Friday, 37.5 hours per week (part-time or job share would be considered)
- To support staff and students in preparing and demonstrating practical activities, including:
- Ensuring apparatus and chemicals are available as and when required by teaching staff
- Setting up, testing and demonstrating apparatus and experiments as required
- Retrieving and clearing away after practical activities
- Disposing of waste laboratory materials, including hazardous waste, in accordance with established guideline
- Suggesting and making improvements to apparatus, laboratories or prep rooms
- To maintain a safe working environment and follow CLEAPSS guidelines
- To order chemicals and equipment where necessary
- To help other technicians as and when appropriate
- To keep the laboratories and prep rooms tidy so that they are a safe and pleasant environment in which to work and study
- To make apparatus and test as required, and record any necessary repairs
- To keep manufacturers' information of relevant apparatus/materials
- To pro-actively contribute to the development of the facilities and operation of the Science Department
- To carry out other duties as reasonably requested by the Senior Science Technician / Head of Science or the Principal
The successful candidate will be likely to fit the following profile:
- The successful candidate will be likely to fit the following profile:
- Have a scientific background preferably with science A levels or equivalent qualifications or experience
- Relevant technician experience within a School Science Department would be an advantage
- Have strong numeracy skills and be confident working with numbers
- Demonstrate a passion for Science
- Have good organisational and self-management skills with the ability to work to deadlines, multitask, prioritise and be flexible
- Be comfortable working cooperatively within a team
- Be self-motivated with the ability to take the initiative and step in where needed
- Be able to communicate concisely and sensitively, both orally and in writing, to a variety of audiences
- Show pride in good service and quality
- Have high standards of personal presentation and attention to detail
- Demonstrate a positive, enthusiastic and energetic approach to life
- Be committed to Surbiton High School’s ethos and strategic vision
- Be committed to professional development and show a willingness to undertake appropriate training for this role
Surbiton High School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Please note that the School reserves the right to appoint at any stage during the recruitment process.
For any queries relating to the role or your application, please email email@example.com
To Apply, please apply online by clicking on the following link:
Please apply online by clicking on the following link: https://unitedlearning.current-vacancies.com/Jobs/Advert/1833192?cid=1567
Closing date: 8:00am, Thursday 16 January 2020
Interviews to take place week commencing: 20 January 2020
Where support is better shared United Learning comprises: UCST (Registered in England No: 2780748. Charity No. 1016538) and ULT (Registered in England No. 4439859. An Exempt Charity). Companies limited by guarantee. VAT number 834 8515 12. Registered address: United Learning, Worldwide House, Thorpe Wood, Peterborough, PE3 6SB.