- Starting pay circa £23,000
- 36.5 hours per week full time with 5 weeks holiday
- Term time only applicants will also be considered
- Up to 2% Attendance Bonus
- Occupational Pension Scheme
- Free on-site Health & Fitness Facilities and staff parking
We are looking for a hard-working, well-organised and enthusiastic person to join the Science Technician team of our highly successful Academy. You will work under the guidance of the Senior Science Technician and alongside other team members in a large, well-equipped department of ten highly refurbished laboratories and two preparation areas. Previous experience in a similar role would be a distinct advantage, though not essential as full training will be available for a suitable candidate.
This is a varied and interesting post and you will have the opportunity to work independently and also as part of a busy, supportive team who lend their skills and expertise to support the teaching staff in Biology, Chemistry and Physics lessons. In addition, some administration and other general maintenance tasks will be undertaken.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualities:
Well organised and able to prioritise work
Both methodical and flexible to the demands of the job
Ability to remain calm at times of pressure
Enjoy working independently and as a team member
Innovative and able to think and plan ahead
A good level of computer literacy.
MAIN RESPONSIBILTIES AND DUTIES TO INCLUDE
- Provide effective support for teaching staff in all areas of Science with some emphasis on Biology.
- Preparation and setting up of equipment, materials and apparatus for all 3 Science subjects for years 7 to 13.
- Delivery of apparatus and equipment to lessons and setting up in laboratories when necessary. Clearing away of apparatus and equipment and upkeep of laboratories.
- Clearing away of used equipment promptly and disposing of waste appropriately.
- Ensure all equipment is properly repaired, maintained and stored. This will include ensuring the relevant safety equipment is properly maintained
- Trialling of new experiments and offering advice to staff and students on proposed practical work.
- Preparation of standard solutions for Chemistry and Biology experiments.
- Routine checking of resources and facilities. Reporting any faults or shortages to the Senior Technician or appropriate persons.
- Keeping up to date with Health and Safety regulations and local rules as relevant to tasks regularly undertaken, ensuring they are appropriately applied at all times.
- To set up for and provide support during Open Evenings.
- Manage the care of the department’s animals and plants.
- Providing general support e.g. updating stock records, some small repairs, ordering etc. To purchase materials from local shops.
- Attendance on relevant INSET courses and external training courses if required.
- Be able to deal with minor incidents.
- Undertake any other related tasks as reasonably requested by the Senior Science Technician
- This list is not exhaustive and is only an indication of responsibilities.
You must complete the application form electronically and email it no later than the closing date Friday 28 June at 12 noon to email@example.com.
All appointments are subject to enhanced DBS clearance. ATA safeguards children and actively promotes their welfare. We expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. ATA is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from minority groups. The school also has full disabled access.