Second in charge of English
For September 2019
‘There’s magic in the web of it’ perhaps best describes our attitude to English and teaching at Maria Fidelis.
We are a successful department where our pupils consistently perform well at GCSE and A-Level, with positive progress indicators. You will join a team that will challenge and support you. The English curriculum at Maria Fidelis not only encourages an academic approach to the subject, but also encourages personal choice and passion. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is interested in pedagogy to further develop our innovative curriculum.
What we are looking for
We look for committed teachers who believe that education has the capacity to transform the journey of our pupils.
The successful candidate will be experienced at teaching Key Stages 3 and 4, and have the ability to offer KS5.
• Curriculum planning, aligned with KS4. This will include designing a parallel curriculum for pupils with learning needs;
• Creative, yet rigorous approaches to assessment, mirroring the assessments at KS4;
• Promoting independent and wider reading;
• Developing strategies for improving writing;
• Mentoring of PGCE students.
Please note that the responsibilities are negotiable, dependent upon experience and interest.
About Maria Fidelis
Maria Fidelis Catholic School FCJ is an established and successful secondary school based in Camden. We take pride in our friendly school community and are committed to our pupils reaching their full potential. Our core principles of courage, confidence and dignity guide us in our daily practice.
Why work at Maria Fidelis?
Maria Fidelis is situated in a fantastic location between Euston and Kings Cross Station, which makes it very easy to reach. The British Library, Francis Crick Institute, Wellcome Trust, UCL, SOAS, LSE and Central St. Martin’s School of Art are all within a five-minute walk of the school site; the school therefore enjoys extracurricular links with several institutions, many of which offer exciting opportunities not only for our pupils, but also professional development activities for our teachers. Partnerships with City firms such as Deloitte enrich the curriculum and also allow our staff to keep ’in touch’ with the world outside of education.
Maria Fidelis is a welcoming and supportive community. We value the professional autonomy of high-performing staff and understand the different approaches different departments may need to take. We make managing workload a high priority. All meetings, Parents’ and Open Events happen on a Thursday and staff are free to leave the site earlier on all other evenings, providing standards of marking and preparation are maintained.
We are forward-looking and progressive with many opportunities for professional development and sharing practice. Maria Fidelis belongs to networks within Camden, but also in other boroughs including Westminster, Kensington and Chelsea and with other high performing Catholic Schools in the Westminster Diocese.
We are a diverse school community in terms of both staff and pupils and therefore welcome applications from anyone who supports our ethos.
Key Benefits – health and wellbeing
• A commitment to managing workload: all meeting scheduled for Thursdays, trials to manage marking and reporting;
• Cycle to work Scheme, with savings of between 32% and 42% on the standard retail price of a new bike;
• Corporate rates for membership of a gym - GLL – Better Leisure. Camden’s award-winning leisure centre is just 5 minutes away and boasts a gym, swimming pool, library and cafes;
• Free hearing tests, eye tests and health checks
Key Benefits – financial
• Additional payment for any teaching of intervention groups on Saturdays or during holidays;
• An interest-free season ticket/travel-card loan scheme;
• A Childcare Voucher scheme which can be used to pay for registered childcare for children up to 16 years old;
• A collection of staff discount and cash-back deals available every day of the year, on shops and health clubs, travel and insurance.
Come and see us in action; visits to Maria Fidelis are very welcome. Please call Leanna on 0207 387 3856 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a time to come in or for an informal conversation.
Application form and Job Description from the PA to the Headteacher
Tel.: 0203 960 8011
Email : email@example.com
COMPLETED APPLICATION FORMS SHOULD BE RETURNED or E-MAILED TO: Leanna Morris by 12:00 noon Tuesday 23rd April 2019.