SECOND IN MODERN FOREIGN LANGUAGES
Start Date: September 2019
Closing Date: 9am Tuesday 19 March 2019
Interviews: Wednesday 27 March 2019
Salary: Teachers’ Pay Scales plus TLR 2.2
Contract: Permanent, full-time post
Contact Details: School Office on 01935 813122, website on www.gryphon.dorset.sch.uk or e-mail Gryphon.HR@gryphon.dorset.sch.uk
We are seeking to appoint an ambitious, creative and inspiring teacher or NQT with energy, enthusiasm and a love of Modern Foreign Languages with a specialism to teach Spanish to KS5.
The successful candidate will
• a strong subject knowledge and passion for all aspects of the modern foreign languages, culture and learning;
• the ability to inspire a shared vision and direction of the team;
• the ability to play a full role in maintaining and enhancing the current high standards in the Department;
• the ability to support, challenge and inspire our students, parents and staff;
• the ability to promote outstanding teaching and learning which leads to the highest levels of student achievement;
• the ability to develop partnerships within the school, the community and industry and to promote extra-curricular activities and competitions;
• excellent communication skills and the ability to celebrate and promote the importance and benefits of learning foreign languages;
• the ability to be a team player who will go the extra mile to support students and who will enjoy the challenges of this role.
The Gryphon is a heavily oversubscribed 11-18 school, which is successful in gaining high results for its students at both GCSE and A-level. The large Sixth Form of 450 students is exceptional. Its students have an excellent record of success in gaining university entrance, including to Oxbridge and the Russell Group, and in the most challenging courses. We are a very proud school which attracts students from around North and West Dorset as well as South Somerset.
The Gryphon is a wonderful place to work and has a special atmosphere and feel. It became an academy in August 2012 to sustain the quality of our outstanding provision. You will find Sherborne to be a centre for educational excellence as a beautiful rural country town that has easy road and rail links to London, Bath, Bristol, Exeter and the glorious Dorset coast. We are an outward looking school with excellent community links as well as strong relationships with other good and outstanding schools across the South West and England.
Teaching is often outstanding. Teachers make lessons stimulating and practical. They have excellent subject knowledge. The Good School Guide described pastoral care and discipline as ‘exceptional’. Students are reflective, behave with great courtesy, and are heavily involved in working with staff to improve the school and the welfare of others. We are a comprehensive school serving a diverse community. The high quality support staff make a real difference.
Our special culture and ethos focuses on high achievement both personally and academically which comes from the tremendous work of all our staff and the great achievements of our students. The A Level average points score per entry is the highest of all Dorset state schools and one of the highest in the country; it was also the highest for academic A levels as well as vocational A levels.