The CAS Coordinator will be the contact person for the ICS community regarding Creativity, Activity and Service component (CAS) of the IB Diploma Programme and will meet regularly with DP Coordinator.
This is a leadership responsibility that is designed to complement other teaching responsibilities. External applicants should be applying for one of our other advertised teacher positions, and should not submit an application for this position alone.
The position requires dedicated time allowance within a teaching schedule and this time release will be confirmed on appointment.
They will continually promote the philosophy and ethos of CAS, seeking to promote authentic and productive engagement with the programme. They will proactively seek to establish meaningful and sustainable connections between the diploma CAS programme and our community, as well as that of the wider local community.
- Familiarize students, colleagues, parents and the wider community with CAS
- Promote the importance of CAS to students, colleagues, parents and the wider community and support students in understanding ethical concerns and international-mindedness
- Invite staff, parents and other individuals to take part in CAS by leading activities appropriate to their skills and interests
- Identify safety issues relevant to the CAS programme and identify effective risk mitigation solutions in response
- Establish a broad CAS framework, allowing each student to engage in varied, challenging and meaningful activities both inside and outside school.
- Establish relevant and sustainable links with the local community in and around Zürich to support the CAS programme
- Collaborate with the students to identify meaningful and relevant activities within and outside the school and allow students to create their own activities appropriate to the overall objectives of the CAS programme
- Inform and work with outside providers to support their involvement in CAS experiences
- Develop school-specific CAS handbook entries, web resources and resources
- Oversee the annual CAS budget
- Manage CAS records and reports
- Engage in interviews with students and report on student progress to the school, students and parents
- Promote recognition of student achievements in CAS within the school community (and beyond, where appropriate)
- Develop and maintain CAS policy statements
- Provide professional development and supervise CAS advisors where appropriate
- Oversee, advise and support the team of CAS advisors in ensuring that all Grade 12 student meet the required CAS learning outcomes
- Periodically review students’ CAS portfolios
- Inform the DP coordinator of any concerns regarding student engagement with the CAS requirements
- Collaborate with the DP coordinator and Grade Level Leaders for Grade 11 and 12 in ensuring that the tutor teams can serve as effective CAS advisors and that sufficient time is allocated to the CAS programme
- Collaborate with others within the school who promote aspects relevant to CAS; for example those who oversee Service Learning and Community Engagement amongst younger students, those who oversee athletics and physical activities and the arts in both the curricular and extracurricular programmes.
- A thorough understanding of the DP programme
- Practical knowledge of contemporary leadership practice.
- Experience of leading others e.g. committee chair, leadership role, running professional development, student led workshops and conferences.
- A good understanding of the school’s strategic priorities, particularly those that support the philosophy and ethos of CAS
- Excellent communication skills in English
- Effective IT skills
- Strong capacity for creative thinking and problem solving
- Strong organisational skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Knowledge of the developmental needs of children aged 16 - 18 years
- Strong commitment to collaboration, teamwork and active participation in school life
ICS Inter-Community School Zurich
- Mainstream school with state funding
- All-through School
- Students of age 2 - 18 years