- Solid understanding of English and Literature
- Familiar with and support school ethos and standards of practice
- Cooperate and support decisions made by the school
- Possess competent classroom management, educational planning, and student follow-up skills
- Incorporate a variety of teaching and learning approaches including strategies for differentiation, teaching ESL students, and inquiry-based learning
- Communicate frequently and constructively with parents
- Pay attention to details of the latest syllabi and curricula, plan and teach accordingly and effectively
- Exercise appropriate care for students’ intellectual, emotional and physical health
- Communicate with appropriate colleagues and administrators regarding school’s expectations regarding academic, behavioral and moral standards
- Cooperate with colleagues and show due diligence in planning and other paper work
- Show creativity in lesson planning, departmental activities and school-wide activities
The secondary department consists of students from Form 3 to Form 6 (generally aged 14 to 17). The class size is usually about 20, although the maximum capacity is 25 students per class. We are relatively selective in the student admission process. The students’ English fluency ranges from ESL to a high proficient level and most students’ English is at a somewhat high ESL level. We emphasize vertical and horizontal collaboration between teachers and expect teachers to provide students with a meaningful and effective learning experience. Teachers are expected to work diligently for the students’ character development, thinking skills, academic performance, spirit of service, emotional and physical health.
The School is developing its own curriculum that includes different aspects of a holistic education. The Cambridge IGCSE in F3 and F4, and the IB Diploma Programme in F5 and F6 are currently part of the School’s curriculum. Students in F4 generally take 9 subjects from Cambridge IGCSE. The School is the first school in Macau to offer the Cambridge IGCSE, and has done so for the last 25 years or so. The passing rate of subjects is above 90% with more than 50% scoring A or A*.
The School is also the first school in Macau offering the IB Diploma Programme, with all students in F5 and F6 enrolled. They have a choice of 21 subjects and levels. For the last three consecutive years all candidates successfully received the IB Diploma at the end of F6 with the highest total score being 42 out of 45; the average grade stood at 35; 90 percent of the subject/level enjoys a higher average than the international average. All graduates from the school enroll in leading universities in different parts of the world.
Working Hours & Schedule
Teachers have 36 working hours per week, which is comprised of up to twenty 45-minute teaching periods, various responsibilities, and some planning time.
There are about 30 days of Macau and school holidays throughout the year which includes both Winter and Chinese Spring Festival breaks, plus about 60 days of summer holidays. Monthly working Saturdays—which often foster community engagement and extension activities—allow us to lengthen our holidays while still meeting contact day requirements.
Compensation & Benefits
The annual base salary range, including housing allowance, starts at approximately US$44,000, after tax. This does not include the annual travel allowance, new year’s bonus, pension contributions, and yearly re-enlistment bonus that is equivalent to one month’s salary. Furthermore, the government of Macau generously provides a teacher’s subsidy of at least US$580 per month. Taken together, the after-tax total compensation that teachers receive begins at US$57,500.
Benefits include local healthcare coverage, reduced tuition for up to two dependents to enroll in the school, assistance in finding an apartment including a one-week hotel stay, and an interest-free salary advance to assist with upfront housing costs if needed.
- A bachelor’s degree in the subject you would teach OR a bachelor's degree in education with a junior/senior secondary qualification, including subject specific coursework qualification
- Fluency in English, which is the medium of instruction.
Learn more about our school and living in Macau: https://www.schoolofthenations.com/School_of_Nations.php?page=Working_at_SON
How to Apply
To apply for this position, which begins in the 2019-2020 academic year, please click the apply button and complete the simple application form. We strive to respond to all those who apply.