Teachers at ICS are responsible for ensuring that their practice inside and outside the classroom is in harmony with the educational philosophy of the school. All teachers are members of departmental, grade level and secondary teams and as such share responsibility for positively supporting school change as outlined in the school’s strategic plan.
Teachers need to demonstrate a strong commitment to maintaining a collaborative culture within the school. In addition they need to embody an understanding of the social and emotional dimensions of learning.
- Teaching English classes, from Grade 6 to 12.
- Teaching the Personal Development Programme as a home-room tutor.
- Ensuring curriculum plans are up-to-date.
- Contributing positively to the collaborative culture by being an engaged participant in team and secondary meetings.
- Supporting the social and emotional well-being of the students in their classes.
- Liaising with the Head of Department and IB Coordinators to ensure that programme requirements are met within the classes taught.
- Ensuring assessments support ongoing learning and providing timely, relevant and appropriate feedback to students on formative and summative assessments.
- Engage in standardization and moderation practices to ensure assessment is aligned with other teachers within the team.
- Demonstrating effective classroom management that shows an understanding of the academic, social and emotional dimensions of learning.
- Using technology to enhance learning.
- Keeping parents informed about the learning of their children, and being proactive in communication with parents.
- Informing, in a timely manner that allows for early intervention, tutors and the Secondary Pastoral Leadership Team about issues of concern related to student welfare, achievement and behaviour.
- Constructing learning activities that challenge students and demonstrate an understanding of the diverse needs of the students in their classes.
- Contributing to the planning and delivery of interdisciplinary curriculum projects.
- Supervising Personal Projects and Extended Essays as required.
- Participating in student recognition processes including assemblies, academic and extracurricular awards ceremonies etc.
- Contributing to the field trip programme.
- Recording and reporting student progress following the procedures established by the school.
- Adhering to Secondary School deadlines.
- Assisting, as requested, with cover of classes for absent colleagues.
- Assisting, as requested, with the administration of exams.
- Attending Student-Parent-Teacher Conferences as one means of providing feedback on students’ progress, attainment and learning targets.
- Contributing to Extra-Curricular Activities to enhance the school experience for learners.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Current classroom teacher qualification to teach English.
- A specialist, up-to-date knowledge of English Language and Literature pedagogy.
- Knowledge and experience of the IB Diploma and Middle Years programmes.
- Experience of teaching English within the Secondary school range.
- Minimum 4 years recent and relevant Secondary School classroom experience.
- Experience in an international school environment is advantageous.
- Excellent English communication skills.
- Experience in teaching learners with diverse needs.
- Strong classroom management skills.
- Competence in using technology for both learning and information management purposes.
- Strong organisational skills.
- Knowledge of the developmental needs of children of 12 - 18 years.
- Empathy and social skills.
Terms and conditions
The initial contract is for two years and is renewable. The generous salary and range of benefits will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate, with the overall package reflecting the importance of the position.
Interested candidates should email a full letter of application, a statement of personal educational philosophy, a detailed resume/curriculum vitae, and three referees. The Head of School reserves the right to apply directly to the writers of open testimonials for confidential statements.
Applications should be addressed to:
Ms Mary-Lyn Campbell,
Head of School
We are looking forward to receiving your online application.