Victoria Shanghai Academy (VSA) is a private independent, non-denominational, coeducational day school established in 2004 under the auspices of the Victoria Shanghai Education Foundation Limited, a registered charitable body. VSA grew from the success of the two primary schools of the school sponsoring body and the Victoria Kindergarten network founded in 1965.
VSA is an IB World School and the first in Hong Kong authorised to deliver three of the International Baccalaureate Programmes, providing a “through-train” IB education for students aged 6 to 18. The Primary School was authorised as an IB Primary Years Programme school in December 2005. In the Secondary School, the Middle Years Programme (“MYP”) and Diploma Programme (“DP”) were authorised in December 2006 and June 2007 respectively.
VSA emphasizes a holistic approach to education, at the heart of which is inquiry-based learning and teaching. The Primary School offers a bilingual education (English and Putonghua); the Secondary School curriculum is delivered in English and supplemented by a strong Chinese programme.
VSA has approximately 1,860 students and a total faculty size of 184. In Secondary, there are 88 faculty members, nearly two-thirds of whom are expatriate staff.
VSA is accredited by CIS and NEASC. More information about Victoria Shanghai Academy can be found here: www.vsa.edu.hk
Victoria Shanghai Academy seeks an experienced Secondary Principal who will inspire and build on a dynamic culture of respect, innovation, high expectations and success. The Secondary Principal works closely with the Executive Head and members of the Senior Leadership Group in mapping out educational priorities and recruiting, retaining and developing committed, highly professional faculty and staff in the secondary school. The Senior Leadership Group (SLG) comprises the Secondary Principal, three Deputy Principals, the Director of Chinese Studies and the DP and MYP Coordinators.
- Demonstrated interpersonal, leadership and communication skills.
- M.A./M.Ed./M.Sc. degree or equivalent in a relevant area (e.g. educational leadership, teacher education, curriculum development or school management).
- A minimum of 3 years experience as a school administrator with documented leadership experience in pedagogy, curriculum and/or professional development.
- Insights and vision in leading IB programmes.
- Demonstrated passion for working with secondary school students.
- Demonstrated commitment to International Education, Global Citizenship and Service Learning.
- Experience of bilingual educational models is an advantage.
- Knowledge of Chinese culture/ability to communicate in Chinese is an advantage.
The successful candidate will be self-motivated and able to think strategically and tactically. S/he will possess the flexibility needed to collaborate successfully within a demanding and busy school environment. In addition, s/he will have the high level management skills required to continue to develop and lead the Secondary School’s students and staff. S/he should be able to navigate within the school’s bilingual bicultural community and demonstrate an international mindset, with a strong focus on students’ learning, pastoral and academic achievements.
A globally competitive package will be offered to the successful candidate, together with medical cover, education and travel allowances for dependents, as well as a housing subsidy. In addition, the post holder will be eligible for a bonus (gratuity) to be paid upon satisfactory completion of contract.
Victoria Shanghai Academy will be supported in this appointment process by the executive search firm Perrett Laver. Perrett Laver will support the Search Committee in discharging its duties, both to assist in the assessment of candidates against the requirements for the role and identify the widest possible field of qualified candidates.
Applications for the role of Secondary Principal should include the following materials:
- CV (maximum 4 sides A4).
- Letter of application (1-1.5 pages) with a detailed statement of aspirations and relevance for the position inclusive of Leadership/Educational Philosophy Statement.
- Names and contact information for referees must be included; these must include direct supervisors, or the person in the position of chief responsibility for the evaluation of your performance. VSA reserves the right to contact the writers of open references for confidential statements.
- Open references and copies of qualifications are optional.
Completed applications should be uploaded at https://candidates.perrettlaver.com/vacancies/ quoting reference 3721.
The deadline for applications is Thursday, 30 November 2017.
VSA will begin to review applications as soon as materials are received. VSA will issue interview invitations on a rolling basis, and finalists will be invited to Hong Kong for final interview in mid- to late January 2018, with the intention of making a final selection shortly thereafter.
Review of applications and nominations will continue until the post is filled.
Initial enquiries may be directed in confidence to Mr Joshua Herr at Joshua.Herr@perrettlaver.com.