The International School of Schaffhausen ISSH is a private, non-profit IB World School owned by the International School of Schaffhausen Foundation. We offer all three IB programmes (DP, MYP, PYP) including a residential programme and a bilingual childcare centre.
The ISSH student body of 230 is multicultural with students from over 35 different national backgrounds. The faculty is similarly diverse and is mainly formed by inspiring and innovative teachers with advanced ICT skills. The language of instruction is English. The German language is taught throughout the school and French is highly valued and offered from age 10.
The school is non-exclusive and caters for the needs of students with a range of abilities and from a range of backgrounds. Although the school has seen continuous growth and development over the past years, we were able to keep the small school and family-like atmosphere with a close-knit and supportive community. As an organization, we are committed to ensure quality of education, job stability and continuous professional development.
The school is located on the outskirts of Schaffhausen, in a green and quiet environment. All sections of the school are on the same campus. The secondary, primary and early education departments are located in different buildings, which include sports, arts and science facilities as well as a variety of recreational areas and playgrounds.
Schaffhausen is the capital of the most northern canton of Switzerland. Zurich and ZH international airport is just a 40-minute train ride away. Schaffhausen has attracted many expatriate families who cherish the authenticity of the Swiss community, its safe and well-organized environment, and the beauty of the green, scenic landscape along the river Rhine which lends itself to year round sporting activities in nature. Schaffhausen also has a lot on offer for culture lovers. It is famous for its monastery, museums, theatres, concerts and vibrant arts scene.
There are two governing bodies with different roles: the school board and the foundation board. The foundation board is responsible for the facility development. The school board is responsible for the running of the school. Together the boards decide on the overall strategic development. The Head of School is a member of the school board and has full operational control. The school leadership team (SLT) has a shared responsibility for managing the school and consists of the Head, the Deputy Head/Primary Principal, the Secondary Principal, the Head of Administration, and the 3 Programme Coordinators. Over and above the day-to-day running of the school, the SLT focuses on determining the short and long-term goals in order to meet the overall development targets set by the boards.
We are looking for an experienced secondary educator who has the vision, ability, experience and charisma to lead the secondary school. As a member of the school leadership team, the secondary principal gives input into the strategic direction of the school. The secondary principal is accountable to the Head of School and has the responsibility for the day-to-day management of the secondary school, the pastoral care and discipline and the development of the academic staff.
See Job Description details as PDF
Experience and Qualification
- experience as a Secondary Principal, Deputy Head or Assistant Principal
- secondary Teaching qualification and several years of teaching experience
- in-depth knowledge of and experience with the IB DP and/or MYP Curriculum both as a teacher and leader
- an understanding of the demands of an international school environment
- knowledge and Understanding of recent educational developments and best practice
- strong leadership skills and proven ability to motivate and inspire others
- charismatic and visible leader who is able to use appropriate leadership styles in different situations
- ability to plan strategically and prioritize in complex situations
- ability to deal sensitively with people and resolve conflict
- high level of organizational skills
- excellent oral and written skills
- ability to deploy staff and resources effectively
- excellent interpersonal skills and high level of emotional intelligence
- ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- ability to form and maintain appropriate relationships with children and young people.
- sense of humour
Terms of Appointment
EU (or Swiss) passport holders are at an advantage over other passport holders due to the Swiss Immigration and Work Permit Regulations
The salary is competitive. The benefits include free tuition for dependents, a relocation allowance and visa costs.
Interested candidates are asked to supply the following documents, compiled into one PDF document and sent to Gundula Kohlhaas at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Curriculum Vitae / Résumé (no more than two pages with recent photograph included);
- Statement of Educational Philosophy and Leadership style (combined one pager);
- Contact details for at least three referees, one of whom must be current Head of School
- Two open references (can include reference letters from given referees)
Any additional information that candidates wish to submit should be sent as a separate pdf document.
Deadline for application is 21st October, 2017
For more information see: www.issh.ch