Secondary School Nurse (Al Waab Campus)
Doha College is one of the oldest British curriculum schools in Qatar providing a world class education for 1914 students between the ages of 3 and 18, who represent over 72 nationalities. Established in 1980, the college was originally opened to meet the demand for a British-style education, and continues to operate under the sponsorship of the British Embassy on a not-for-profit basis.
Primary Objective of Role:
The Nurse will develop a Wellness Centre that will ensure that students and staff receive appropriate health care and advice in order to maximise their ability to learn and develop physically, socially and emotionally.
Accountability and Responsibilities:
- Plan, develop and maintain a Nurse Room offering a comprehensive range of advice and support for students.
- Maintain a high standard of care in accordance with professional guidelines and appropriate ethical code.
- Promote a holistic approach to health care, including preventative advice.
- Liaise with Student Services staff to develop health education resources to support the PSHE programme.
- Support school in its planning and delivery of health issues.
- Coordinate First Aid training for staff and students.
- Support and contribute towards the self-review of practice and contribute towards quality assurance in order to continually improve the service offered.
- Meet formally every term with the Vice Principal – Student Services to review agreed targets.
- Ensure students have the necessary nursing care to maximise the ability to learn effectively and stay safe.
- Promote healthy lifestyles so that students can make informed choices concerning physical, social and psychological health.
- Give first aid during sporting events, after accidents or sudden illness; arrange transport and referral to suitable medical as necessary.
- Liaise with parents of student to pals nursing care needed during the day to help support the student with medical problems whether short or long term.
- Enable students with permanent or temporary disability to access lessons with minimal disruption to the students’ education.
- Support students who may be having difficulties of any kind while at school.
- Through the Nurse Room attend to students’ problems as they occur during the day and during after school activities.
- Liaise with teaching staff to ensure that students receive the most appropriate nursing care to support learning.
- Liaise with other school nurses in Doha to try and set standards of best practice / benchmarking in the school environment of Doha.
Experience, Knowledge and Skills:
- Previous experience working with children / young people, preferably in an educational setting and/or experience in minor illness/injury unit or A and E department.
- Valid nursing experience in a hospital or other environment.
- Sensitive, caring and responsive to the needs of children / young people.
- Fluent in English.
- Knowledge of computer applications such as MS Word, Excel etc.
- Ability to work independently and make medical decisions.
- Ability to support, advise and counsel.
- Good communication skills.
- Knowledge of policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection is essential.
Education and Training:
- Recognised nursing qualification:
• Registered General Nurse (RGN).
• Registered Sick Children’s Nurse (RSCN).
• Valid registration, up to date with PREP/re validation requirements.
- It is essential that the holder of this position is caring, supportive and sensitive to children with specific needs.
- Sunday to Thursday 7.00 a.m. to 2.30 p.m. Term time only.
Only candidates with a family sponsorship, currently residing in Qatar will be considered.
Instructions to Apply:
Candidates must download the Doha College application form and submit the same through our website. The completed form will have to be uploaded as an attachment. The website allows only one file to be uploaded.
Doha College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening, including reference checks with previous employers and an enhanced criminal record check.