The Secondary Principal of Berlin Metropolitan School is expected to demonstrate a commitment to the philosophy of the IB and should be an adaptable educator and innovative leader. The BMS Secondary Principal reports to the Executive Director of the school.
Key responsibilities of the Secondary Principal are to
- create a school culture which actively and meaningfully promotes the BMS Mission and the IB Learner Profile
- support the Executive Director in developing and communicating a clear strategic vision of how to develop BMS successfully
- motivate and empower the Secondary School Team to implement the strategic vision of the school
- lead the development and evaluation of curriculum, assessment and reporting processes
- ensure procedures are in place for assessing student performance accurately, fairly and regularly
- support teachers in developing their professional knowledge and skills
- ensure the physical, educational and social emotional needs of students and staff are met at all times
- lead the recruitment, appraisal and professional development of the teaching team
- ensure there are clear and effective lines of communication, both internally and with the wider school community
- oversee and manage the Secondary School budget in collaboration with the Business Director and Executive Director
- liaise with the Berlin Senate on staffing regulations and local curriculum requirements.
The profile of the Secondary Principal
- a visible leader with the ability to prioritize and demonstrate effective decision-making skills
- excellent interpersonal skills, including effective communication with a wide range of stakeholders
- embeds a culture of continuous improvement, setting the highest expectations for everything we do
- an exceptional practitioner who understands the skills required of an outstanding teacher
- supports a student-centered approach to teaching and learning and expects innovative teaching and learning in the Secondary School
- maintains a positive and supportive attitude
- is self-motivated and outcome focused
- holds degree(s) in education with qualifications in Educational Leadership
- is proficient in written and oral English and, ideally, has a working knowledge of spoken and written German
- has at least three years experience of working as a Principal, ideally in an IB School.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT BMS
We offer a modern, inspiring work environment with international employees and an open school community in the heart of Berlin.
The opportunity to grow in an interesting environment and to define with us new quality standards in the field of education.
Our open-door-culture with the leadership, joint learning and collegial case counselling creates an inspiring and supporting collaboration.
Continuous personal development through professional development days and individual training.
We offer best conditions for a modern classroom with a comprehensive range of modern technology and resources.
Benefits such as relocation package (visa, settling in allowance, housing support etc.), daily free lunch for all staff members and sabbatical opportunities.