We are looking for a confident and vigilant Security Officer, with excellent communication skills to ensure pupils, staff and visitors are safeguarded within a comprehensive security service.
You will thrive under pressure, be decisive and calm, whilst maintaining the highest levels of professionalism at all times. You will be enthusiastic, self-motivated enjoy working as part of a team. Working across grounds of over 400 acres and some 400 school buildings, you will be flexible and able to work on you own without direction.
A full UK Driving Licence is essential. A current SIA CCTV licence and a First Aid at Work certificate would be advantageous, although training is available.
In return, Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), free eyecare tests, a cycle to work scheme and free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities.
- Staff the Security Department and operate all the functions in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures and daily briefings - including CCTV monitoring , intruder and fire alarm management, access control, visitor management, use of radio systems, key management and recording details of incidents through reports and daily occurrence books
- Conduct direct patrolling, attend incidents and help coordinate situations with guidance from the Control Room or Security Supervisor
- Undertake single person internal and external patrolling on foot or using vehicular means (including cycles)
- Operate a busy Security Control Room. Security Officers work in this environment periodically throughout the 12 hour shift period. The main duties of the Officer are to monitor the many security systems within this environment. This includes call handling, use of the radio system (tasking and deployment), monitoring CCTV cameras and managing intruder and fire alarms
- Attend and pro-actively deal with any security related incidents, as directed by the Control Room or line managers
- Record all incidents in the appropriate format and write concise and accurate incident reports as necessary
- Operate security related and personal protective equipment following departmental procedure (ie radios and body worn cameras), ensuring the equipment is clean and stored correctly, reporting any faults to line managers
- Deal professionally with victims of crime and individuals in confrontational situations. It is expected that individual’s committing crimes at the College will be observed and detained at the Officer’s discretion awaiting the arrival of the Police
- Undertake staff training as required and receive guidance and instruction from the Head of Security, Deputy Head of Security and Security Supervisor when necessary
- Carry out specialist and bespoke security duties in connection with College events and VIP visits ie Fourth of June celebrations, CCF Tattoo and St Andrews Day. Attend and assist at any emergency incident as directed by the Security Control Room
- Maintain a good level of fitness to ensure that you can actively fulfil your security responsibilities
The Ideal Candidate
- Full UK Driving Licence
- Current SIA CCTV Licence ( training is available)
- Hold a 4 Day First Aid At Work certificate or be prepared to train for this qualification
- Ability to demonstrate tolerance and understanding at all times
- Excellent communication skills to enable effective dialogue with colleagues, staff, visitors and where applicable, pupils
- Well-developed problem-solving skills
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Good numeric and computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook essential)
- Display a smart and professional appearance, representing the College in a positive manner
- Organised and self-motivated, with a proven record for meeting targets and deadlines
- Able to perform well and remain professional whilst under pressure
- Dedicated team-player, who strives for excellence and leads by example
- Tactful and discreet, whilst mindful of observing Safeguarding and professional standards
- Enthusiastic, with an eagerness to learn new skills and a commitment to personal continuous professional development
- Self-motivated and able to work alone without direction
- Adaptable and flexible with working patterns when required
- Committed to contributing towards the College community
- Practical, methodical and constructional
- Reasonable physical fitness, in order to actively fulfil the Security responsibilities
£24,797 per annum
Closing Date: Sunday 8th December at midnight
Full details and an application form are available from our website:
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service. Eton College is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.