We are looking for an inspiring and talented Primary SEN Higher Level Teaching Assistant (HLTA) to work closely with the class teachers at Harris Garrard Academy as we set out on our transformational journey.
You will be enthusiastic, have great interpersonal skills, enjoy working as part of a team and want the very best for our pupils. This is an exciting opportunity for a committed professional looking to start or continue their career in a rewarding new role.
Previously known as the Bexley Business Academy, Harris Garrard Academy is an all-through 3–18 academy with approximately 1350 pupils on roll and joined the Harris Federation as a sponsored academy in September 2017. The academy is based in Thamesmead in a purpose built building. We are now on a journey towards “Outstanding”, led by a highly experienced executive principal with a proven track record of school transformation.
Our vision is clear: nothing is impossible and everything is possible, irrespective of personal characteristics or background. Every problem has a solution. We believe we are more robust, resilient and determined as a team than as a group of individuals. We support, challenge and hold each other to account at all levels within the academy to ensure that our students achieve their potential, are motivated, engaged and fully prepared for life beyond our academy.
What we are looking for:
At Harris Garrard Academy, we have the highest possible aspirations for our staff and pupils. We expect all our children to make very good progress and develop the skills and personal qualities they need for the future.
The successful candidate will be required to:
- Complement teachers’ delivery of the national curriculum and contribute to the development of other support staff, pupils and school policies and strategies;
- Work collaboratively with teaching staff and assist teachers in the whole planning cycle and the management/preparation of resources;
- Supervise whole classes occasionally during the short term absences of teachers;
- Provide support for pupils with SEN, the teacher and the school in order to raise standards of achievement for all pupils, by utilising advanced levels of knowledge and skills when assisting with planning, monitoring, assessing and managing classes;
- Encourage pupils with SEN to become independent learners;
- Provide support for their welfare and support the inclusion of our pupils with SEN in all aspects of academy life.
- Be committed to on-going professional development;
- Contribute to the wider life at the academy;
- Be innovative, highly motivated and eager to take a lead.
Please download the candidate information pack via the apply link for more information on the role and responsibilities.
Why work at Harris Garrard Academy?
- The opportunity to be involved in the transformation of a school from the very start
- A stunning working environment, in a purpose-built school designed by Norman Foster and nominated for the Stirling Prize for architecture in 2004
- A highly motivated team, led by exceptionally experienced and talented senior leaders
- All the advantages of a successful academy group, with a strong central team of support, teaching and leadership staff
- Generous Harris rewards and benefits package
Visits are strongly encouraged and very welcome.
For more information, please contact the school on 0208 320 4800.
Harris academies are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. In line with our commitments to safeguarding, the Harris Federation uses preferred agencies and is unable to work with any agencies where Terms of Business have not been agreed by both parties prior to an engagement.