Location: Pilning, Bristol
Salary: £8.59 - £9.67 per hour (£15,152.76 - £17,057.88 per annum actual) linked to competency and qualifications.
Hours: 40 hours per week, 39 weeks per year
Contract: Permanent, Full-time, Term -time
Aurora is an innovative provider of education and care for children, young people and adults with special educational needs and disabilities. We are currently looking for an SEN Teaching Assistant to join our dynamic Aurora Hedgeway School.
Aurora Hedgeway School supports children and young people aged 7-19 years old with communication and associated difficulties, typically as a result of autism or Asperger’s Syndrome. These difficulties can impact on their emotional wellbeing and behaviour and create barriers to learning.
The whole school contributes to a positive, vibrant and collaborative learning community where every student is given the care, support and levels of challenge needed to develop not just their academic abilities, but also their self-confidence, life skills and independence.
Significant investment has gone into producing a creative and enabling school environment to meet the needs of our students, including new classrooms and outdoor learning spaces to accommodate increased demand and a wider age range.
The passionate and committed team at Hedgeway School are looking for like-minded people to join them in supporting children and young people to have the best opportunities to succeed in life.
As a Teaching Assistant, you will be supporting students not only with their education but also with their emotional needs and behavioural challenges. In school, you will carry out a range of duties, supporting all elements of learning from basic life skills through to academic achievement and personal development. You will demonstrate you are creative, patient and adaptive. Every child we support is unique and they will require an individualised approach to ensure that each of them has the opportunity to reach their full potential in a caring and safe learning environment.
This role is perfect for all experience levels and we will work with you to develop your skills and confidence. So, if you’re looking to develop your career and are passionate about giving children and young people life chances that will shape their futures, then this is the perfect role for you.
Key Roles & Responsibilities:
- To establish a warm, caring and supportive relationship with students in order to support them to feel safe and enable them to enjoy and learn during their time at the school.
- To promote and encourage independence and personal development in students and maintain high expectations of behaviour at all times.
- On occasion to support the Class Teacher (in the absence of the HLTA) in all areas of the day-to-day running of the class.
- To promote students’ cognitive, social, emotional, behavioural, physical development and spiritual well-being.
- To take responsibility for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of pupils according to the school’s policies, including safeguarding and PREVENT.
- To work with students in the class and support their learning, providing further explanation where needed and working towards individual understanding of the subject.
- To manage the behaviour and concentration levels of students and adapt to any change or escalations in behaviour.
- To support the day-to-day running of classes across the school.
- To contribute to planning, evaluation of activities, observations, assessing, recording and reporting students’ progress.
- Reinforce learning concepts presented by teachers.
- Level 3 Diploma or equivalent (desirable)
- SSTLS 01 (desirable)
- 3 or more GCSEs (including Mathematics and English) at Grade C or above or other equivalent
Be part of our successful team and also benefit from a generous package that includes:
- Life assurance
- Pension plan
- High street discounts
- Child care vouchers
- Employee assistance programme
- Paid holiday
- Training and development
For more information or to request a job description please call Hedgeway HR Department on 01454 632532 or email HedgewayJobs@the-aurora-group.com.
Successful applicants will be subject to pre-employment safeguarding checks including an enhanced disclosure and barring service (DBS) check.
The Aurora Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the children and young adults in our care.