We are looking for a hard-working and dedicated candidate to join our outstanding school as a Senior HR Advisor.
About Kensington Aldridge Academy
KAA is an 11 – 18 academy situated in the heart of Notting Hill. We opened in brand new buildings in 2014 with just Year 7 and have grown year by year and are now a full school with 1,250 students in Years 7 to 13.
KAA has grown to become one of the top academies in the UK. DfE performance tables show we are in the top 5% of schools nationally in terms of KS5 Progress. Our Ofsted report grades us outstanding in all categories and describes standards as “exceptional”. In 2018 we were awarded TES Secondary School of the Year.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead the strategy and operation of HR in one of the top academies in the UK. We are open to all applicants but we imagined the right person might be someone who is either an up and coming HR professional in a large academy chain or has a commercial background and wants to move into the education sector. KAA is what’s known as a “single academy trust” – so we run our own HR, with support from Browne Jacobson (one of the leading HR & Legal education firms in the UK). This gives us autonomy and flexibility to innovate and develop best practice systems. We are also a new academy, opened in September 2014, so had a fresh slate on which to develop our model. There will be an element of more administrative duties, but we do have other staff who can support with this. A major part of this role is about strategy and leadership. Credible candidates who want to discuss this further should call and speak to the Principal directly.
- To lead the academy’s strategic and operational HR activities and processes.
- To develop effective systems to support people management processes and policies.
- To provide efficient and professional HR advice to the Principal and his senior team.
- To provide an effective HR service which supports all aspects of an employee’s relationship and engagement with the academy including recruitment, terms and conditions of employment, training and development activities, ensuring compliance with employment legislation and KAA policies.
- To provide advice and guidance in relation to recruitment of staff and recruitment processes generally, for example to advise on safer recruitment requirements, recruitment timelines,advertising, application pack content and candidate assessment activities where appropriate,to attend short listing and interview panels.
- To oversee the performance management cycle at the academy, reviewing relevant policy and ensuring appraisals are completed on time for all staff.
- To produce letters, contracts of employment and other written communications to a high standard, on time and in accordance with academy policy and branding.
- To build effective working relationships with colleagues, employees, Principals, governors, and external parties.
- To devise, review and update HR policies to ensure compliance with employment law and best practice.
- To provide advice and guidance on a range of HR policies and HR related issues to support understanding and ensure effective communication of good HR practice.
- To be responsible for the quality and accuracy of all HR databases and personnel records, as well as the Single Central Record.
- To work with the Principal to ensure effective monitoring of sickness trends and remedial action in accordance with KAA policies and to facilitate a proactive approach to absence management to ensure a smooth return to work.
- To take responsibility for the implementation of all HR policy, ensuring that all HR issues are dealt with within the relevant timescales.
- To lead on the development of HR CPD for support staff.
- To proactively assist the Principal in handling complex HR needs and problems through case
- and project management, including grievance, discipline, capability, appraisal, attendance management etc.
- To ensure accurate recording of all case work including minutes, emails, letters, witness statements.
- To produce reports and other staff related data to inform the Principal and Governors, as appropriate.
- To line manage, mentor and undertake the appraisal of HR staff.
- To undertake other reasonable responsibilities related to the role as directed by the Principal.
• 180 school days, 10 training days (not 5 as you find in most schools) & 5 planning days per year, which include the opportunity for teachers to work from home.
• Two week half term in October.
• Professional development that is of a national standard. In Ofsted’s words: “Staff morale is exceptionally high. Staff enjoy working at the school and benefit from high-quality training. Teachers new to the profession feel very well supported in settling into the school quickly and developing their practice.”
• Free weekly staff wellbeing activities; yoga, circuits, staff choir and art classes etc.
• Discounted membership of the brand new Kensington Leisure Centre.
Download the full candidate pack for more information about this position and the academy.
Please send completed applications to Payal Joshi at firstname.lastname@example.org by 9am on Tuesday 23rd April 2019.
Early applications are encouraged and in the event that the academy is able to fill the vacancy before the deadline, it reserves the right to close the vacancy and won’t review further applications.