The Site Maintenance Assistant’s role is to provide practical support for the day-to-day upkeep of the school buildings and grounds. The Facilities Manager will direct tasking on a daily/weekly basis according to the school’s calendar and holiday activity programme.
The need for flexibility is paramount. The Site Maintenance Assistant will work on a rotating shift pattern over 2 weeks. The early shift will operate 7:00am to 4:00pm and the late shift will operate on a flexible basis that is adjusted according to the expected close of business (generally 6:00 – 8:00pm but occasionally up to 10:00pm). The total number of hours worked would be an average of 45 hours per week during term time and 40 hours per week during school holiday periods. Alternate weekend working or on call will be required.
General Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide practical support to meet the requirements of both regular school activities, matches, special events and community users/lettings. This may include but is not limited to:
- preparing the Performing Arts Centre for assemblies, concerts, productions and other events and returning to its teaching state afterwards
- preparing the Dining Room for parents’ meetings and other events and returning to its normal dining state afterwards
- preparing other rooms and spaces across the school for specific events and returning to normal state afterwards
- moving furniture, equipment and deliveries as required.
- Undertake general maintenance tasks to ensure that the buildings, specific spaces and grounds are maintained to the highest standard. This may include but is not limited to:
- undertaking ad hoc cleaning tasks including the swimming pool (poolside), decking, low level windows and glazing
- emergency cleaning or response tasks such as unblocking toilets and drains
- co-ordinating waste collections, maximising recycling opportunities and undertaking regular litter picks
- checking and replacing light bulbs, paper towel dispensers, soap dispensers, toilet paper etc
- replenishing printers and copiers with paper on a daily basis
- small scale painting and repair tasks.
- Provide support to external groups using the facilities both in and out of normal hours as directed by the Facilities Manager.
- Undertake and record weekly fire alarm and firefighting equipment checks under the direction of the Facilities Manager.
- Complete weekly checks of the school’s minibus fleet, refuel and clean as required.
- Complete daily checks of the play equipment and rectifying any immediate issues where practicable. Any concerns are to be reported to the Facilities Manager immediately.
- Support to the Grounds Team. This may include but is not limited to:
- maintaining hedges, fences and gates in good order
- maintaining and clearing the Astroturf
- leaf, ice and snow clearance as necessary
- clearing and tidying all paths and hard surfaces on site and within the Loop
- keeping the site free of weeds and brambles.
- Maintain and store all maintenance equipment and machinery safely and securely.
- Extermination of pests and vermin and ensure preventative measures are in place.
At the start of work, unlock school buildings and gates and conduct a security sweep of the site to include a physical check of locks, doors, gates, fences, outbuildings and any systems installed for surveillance including CCTV, door entry or intruder alarms, reporting any concerns to the Facilities Manager immediately. During the winter, this would include checking that heating levels were sufficient throughout the school, and paths, steps and stairs have been salted where necessary.
At the close of the day, conduct a security and safety sweep of the site to include a physical check of locks, fire doors and fire alarm panels, windows, lights (internal and external), external doors, gates and outbuildings and set alarms as necessary. This would include checking that all electrical equipment not required overnight was switched off (or in sleep mode).
When on call at the weekends and during holiday periods, respond to any alarms or calls from the emergency services or alarm monitoring service provider.
Health and Safety
- Support the Facilities Manager by following safe systems of work and risk assessment within the Site Maintenance Team and monitoring personal exposure to high risk hazards including vibration, noise and manual handling.
- Maintain the COSHH register for maintenance items and undertake regular checks that regulated substances are being stored and used in accordance with extant guidelines.
- Ensure all maintenance work is carried out using appropriate equipment and PPE in accordance with the School’s Health and Safety Policy, especially in connection with the use of hazardous substances.
- Ensure that all maintenance contractors are aware of and observe site health and safety regulations through SAFE START, have evidence of valid DBS checks (where necessary) and that all relevant documentation and procedures are in place, such as permit to work, method statements, risk assessments, etc.
Undertake any other tasks identified by the Facilities Manager or Bursar within the general scope of responsibility.