Details for applicants
Would you like to visit us?
Informal visits are welcomed. We are not as far away as you think and driving through the countryside each morning is a very pleasant way to start you day! You’ll find us just 20 minutes from Peterborough and Huntingdon, and commutable from Cambridge too. Why not come and visit us so we can show you more of our school?
What do I do if I want to know more before applying?
You are very welcome to come and visit our wonderful school, please just let us know and we will arrange a tour of the department and wider school. More information is available on our website. However, if you have any further questions, please contact Lee Valentine firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to meeting you and receiving your application.www.abbeycollege.cambs.sch.uk
Job Description: Sixth Form Student Support Officer ( Maternity cover 2 or 3 Terms)
Start Date: 1st January 2022
New Scale Point: 9 - 11
Hours: 37 hours per week (Term time only plus 3 training days + 5 Summer results release days)
Reporting to Head of Sixth form
- Core Purpose
- The Sixth Form Student Support Officer is a strategic and supportive member of the Support Office Team, directly linked to the Sixth Form Lead, embracing the school’s vision and ethos.
- Abbey College seeks to employ an intelligent, innovative, high performing and student-focused Support Officer of post-16 education. The person in post will effectively manage the development of the Sixth Form to raise standards in student aspirations and outcomes, with particular regard to A/S level, A Level (and equivalent) qualifications, PSHE, enrichment, extra-curricular opportunities and service to others. They are responsible for creating and sustaining a distinctive Sixth Form ethos and for effective monitoring, tracking and review of students’ progress, in all spheres.
- Through their own professional conduct, the Sixth Form Student Support Officer sets the highest standards.
- Uphold behaviour/standards of the 6th Form study and social areas as well as within the wider school, including the distribution of temporary/replacement lanyards and parking permits.
- Identify non attendees and send First Response absence texts to parents.
- Attend weekly meeting with HoSF to discuss student attendance. and undertake
- Communicate with 6th Form tutors and teaching staff in relation to pastoral and progress related student issues, where appropriate.
- Be alert to, and understanding, the specific needs of vulnerable Students, logging on MyConcern for any safeguarding concerns and working with the welfare dept to support students.
- Undertake weekly tailored academic mentoring sessions for students identified as requiring Sixth Form Support 1a.
- Coordinate all aspects of Bursary fund 16-19 administration to students
- Liaise with the Data Manger and CMAT regarding timetabling and student IT issues.
- Create and distribute the Sixth Form Bulletin weekly to students and parents.
- Liaise with the Careers Dept. to arrange interviews for student undecided on Post 18 destinations and promote careers opportunities to students.
- Support the HoSF in the organisation of guest speakers, visits and any other opportunities which can enhance student’s personal development, cultural capital and future employability
- Monitor students engagement with UniFrog.
- Oversee the high quality of up to date and relevant displays in the Sixth Form areas.
- Organise and manage student files, providing reports as required for specific purposes
- Monitor and audit Sixth Form leavers destinations
- Procurement and administration of sundries for Sixth form department
- Contribute to planning and organisation of open/parents evenings
- Play a full role in the induction and enrolment of new students and promoting the 6th form
- Assist with the planning and delivery of summer events including 6th Form Ball, leavers BBQ, certificates, prizes and taster day etc.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties as requested by the Head teacher or designated alternative.
- Coordination of Head Girl and Head Boy interview process
- Attends all EPQ presentations
- Coordinates all charitable events (MacMillan, Jumper day, Children in Need etc)
- Undertake any other duties, deemed reasonable, as directed by HoS
- Ensure all pupils have equal access to learning using appropriate strategies and resources, where necessary.
- Liaise with pastoral staff members to ensure the wellbeing of pupils and their full participation in school life.
- Raise any concerns regarding pupils’ behaviour with the relevant Raising Standards Lead.
- Implement any specific arrangements for individual pupils, ensuring that relevant staff members are aware of the measures in place.
- Provide individual pastoral support to pupils, where necessary.
- Continuously motivate and challenge pupils, whilst promoting and reinforcing self-esteem.
- The post holder’s responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young people for whom they come into contact will be to adhere to and ensure compliance with the School’s Child Protection Policy Statement at all times. If in the course of carrying out the duties of the post the post holder becomes aware of any actual or potential risks to the safety or welfare of children in the school they must report any concerns to their Line Manager or the School’s Child Protection Officer.
- This job description will be reviewed and updated periodically in order to ensure that it relates to the job performed or to incorporate any proposed changes. This procedure will be conducted by the Headteacher or line manager in consultation with the post holder. In these circumstances it will be the aim to reach agreement on reasonable changes but if agreement is not possible management reserves the right to make changes to the job description following consultation.
Abbey College, Ramsey is located in a small market town, almost half way between Huntingdon and Peterborough and within easy reach of Cambridge and London. The College is set within extensive, historic and beautiful grounds close to the Parish ...