Do you have experience or a passion to work with students with Autism?
Are you looking for an exciting new job opportunity in a provision with an experienced staff team?
Are you an excellent teacher and looking for a new challenge with the possibility of progression into a managerial post?
Horizons Specialist Academy Trust consists of Abbey Hill Academy, Westlands Academy, Green Gates Academy and Hollis Academy. The academies serve a population of approximately 500 students aged 5 to 19 with a broad range of learning difficulties.
Abbey Hill Academy & Sixth Form are at the forefront of current developments in the education of young people with special needs. We specialise in meeting the needs of students aged 11 to 19 who have a full range of learning disabilities.
Abbey Hill Academy, where this post will be situated, provides for approximately 300 young people aged 11 to 19 years who have learning difficulties, as well as other physical and social needs.
We are currently looking to recruit a passionate and experienced teacher to join our team at Abbey Hill Academy. This is an exciting opportunity to join our provision for young people with autism (Walker building) and play a key role in the development and learning of our students. The Teacher will be working in the Walker Building and will be teaching a small class of 11-12 year old students, all of whom have access to a specialist curriculum aimed at meeting the academic and sensory needs of our students whilst engaging our learners through a topic-led, creative curriculum approach. Students in this class will be working at levels between Year 1 and Year 3 expectations. The Teacher will become part of a team that specialises in delivering a curriculum designed to meet individual needs and give our students the best possible educational outcomes.
At Abbey Hill Academy our students benefit from our unique, bespoke creative curriculum with strategic support from multidisciplinary teams of therapists, and we are looking for the next member of our teaching team to enhance the students learning experiences.
Main Roles and Responsibilities:
- Plan, deliver and assess outstanding teaching and learning using proven methods and approaches that enable autistic young people to learn
- Plan and deliver activities/ opportunities alongside other professionals such as the academy’s Occupational Therapist
- Embed strategies that support students with Autism
- Be a class tutor, ensuring pastoral needs are met and establishing excellent relationships with parents and carers
- Engage and motivate students
- Inspire trust and confidence in students, colleagues, parents and other professionals
- Build team commitment with colleagues and in the classroom
- Promote the wider aspirations and values of the school
- Engage in whole school activities as required by the Principal
- Adhere to all working protocols as agreed and published in the Trust handbook
- Plan and lead children in off-site enrichment activities
- Ensure you uphold all safeguarding procedures, including engaging in annual safeguarding training, including induction training
- Be committed to developing the Academy’s ASC provision in line with the standards from the National Autistic Society
The main responsibility of this post is to provide high quality teaching and learning for an allocated class within Abbey Hill Academy, for a detailed breakdown a job description is available on request.
For the right candidate there may be the opportunity for a senior role in the Walker building overseeing the management and strategic development of the team and taking a role in the whole school senior management and leadership team.
Person Specification (Essential)
- Successful class teaching experience.
- Experience of working with children with SEN or ASC
- A commitment to ongoing professional development.
- An excellent knowledge of the specialist curriculum area and how it may be effectively taught.
In return for your hard work and commitment to the role Abbey Hill Academy will offer:
- A warm friendly academy that provides a safe and secure learning environment.
- The opportunity to join a supportive and well established team
- Extensive and varied professional learning opportunities
- The support to progress in your career
If you have a positive attitude, a good sense of humour and are passionate about working with young people then we would love to hear from you.
The successful candidate will be joining a Multi Academy Trust that is moving forwards and is striving for excellence. We offer a collaborative and supportive environment where staff are valued and nurtured.
Applications are welcome from teachers from a primary or secondary background. As well as excellent curriculum knowledge, good communication and interpersonal skills, the successful candidates will have proven ability to work as part of a team of teachers and support staff.
A visit to the academy would be highly recommended. To arrange this and/or to obtain an application form and further information please e-mail Mrs Julie Povall on email@example.com
Completed application forms should be returned by 12 noon on Monday 23rd April 2018 to: Julie Povall, HR Clerk, Abbey Hill Academy, Ketton Road, Stockton-on-Tees. TS19 8BU or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.