Do you have a scientific background or interest, or do you have practical Laboratory Technician experience? Bohunt School in Wokingham is seeking to appoint a STEM Technician to support teaching and learning in STEM; experience is preferable but not essential.
37 hours per week, Term time 38 weeks, plus INSET days
£17.5k - £20k per annum. Actual salary £15k - £17k
Key Features of the School
Bohunt School Wokingham is a brand new secondary school which opened to year 7 in September 2016, growing to 1500 including a sixth form by 2022. It is part of the Bohunt Education Trust built upon the success of Bohunt School Liphook.
- Ofsted "Outstanding" in all areas.
- STEMNET STEM Leader of the Year Award 2013
- Winner of the TES (Times Educational Supplement) Overall School of the Year 2014
- TESLA – teaching school alliance since 2013
Key Features of the job
The role mainly involves providing technical support, ensuring that equipment is functioning properly and is ready to use, and that the right materials are available for particular lessons. Sometimes laboratory technicians may be expected to work closely with students to explain or demonstrate experiments or how to use equipment, as well as helping teachers with a class and supporting individual students on research projects.
Some of the typical work activities are as follows:
- liaising with academic staff to discuss timetables, equipment requirements and work plans
- running trials of experiments prior to classes and then demonstrating techniques for experiments
- preparing equipment and chemicals before lessons as requested by the teaching staff and managing stock control
- maintaining and repairing equipment and laboratory apparatus
- record keeping, e.g. for students' practical sessions, tracking methods, results, budgets, etc.
- ensuring that equipment is properly cleaned and that chemicals, drugs and other materials are appropriately stored
- supporting the work of teachers in classes and laboratory sessions and giving technical advice to staff and students
- preparing for and supporting co-curricular science clubs/activities
This is an excellent opportunity for a STEM Technician to help shape the development and infrastructure of STEM as a pioneering flagship for the new school, and opportunities for career progression for the right person are extensive. Salary dependant upon knowledge and experience, applications will be considered as they are received. CVs are not accepted.