St. Ignatius Catholic School is a private co-educational school with approximately 690 pupils ranging from Nursery to Advanced Level. The school is recognised for its academic rigour, its excellent discipline and its caring and supportive Christian ethos. It follows the English National Curriculum to I/GCSE with many students progressing to our A-Level programme.
We invite applications from fully qualified and suitably experienced teachers for the following position for August 2021.
Subject Leader: English (KS 3 – 5)
The successful candidate will be a subject leader or a subject teacher with significant leadership experience ready to manage and lead a highly motivated and successful department.
All candidates are expected to have:
- A recognised degree in English Literature or equivalent from an accredited university, and a PGCE, QTS or other internationally recognised teaching qualification.
- At least five years of teaching experience across Key Stages 3 – 5, with evidence of successful examination results at I/GCSE and A-Level in recent years. Experience in teaching Cambridge International IGCSE and A-Level would be a distinct advantage.
- Familiarity with and experience teaching the Cambridge International Syllabus would be a distinct advantage.
- A minimum of two to three years of leadership experience within a successful department.
- Curriculum development and raising standards of academic achievement across all key stages.
- Secure knowledge and understanding of excellent practice in teaching, learning and the effective use of assessment to improve learning.
- Be able to use data effectively to monitor students’ academic progress in relation to expectations and targets.
- Be able to demonstrate the impact of teaching on the progress of individual groups and cohorts of children.
- Experience in teaching an additional subject is preferred, therefore applicants should include such information within the application.
- Be committed to continuing professional development.
- Be committed to Christ-centered values and beliefs.
- Model excellent practice in the classroom; preferably externally verified.
- Be proficient in using Microsoft Office/Office 365 products. Experience with SIMS would be an advantage.
- Have excellent knowledge of Safeguarding and Child Protection good practice with recent, relevant training.
- Be an excellent team player committed to the Catholic ethos, values and aims of the school, and be committed to the holistic education of children.
Duties will also include but are not limited to the following:
- To provide pastoral, academic and behavioural support for children in accordance with school policies and procedures.
- To keep good records of the progress of the children in the class/group and to be able to use the formal assessment processes of the school, both for formative and summative purposes.
- To support parents with referrals to outside agencies, where required.
- To meet with parents, staff and children to provide support with Individual Education Planning and Learning plan support, where required.
- To provide communication to parents including the writing of formal reports, and meeting with parents regarding their child’s progress.
- Lead and/or be involved in a wide range of school-related extra-curricular activities.
Candidates should also refer to the person specification and job description attached prior to submitting an application.
As a Catholic school, we strongly encourage committed Catholics to apply but we also welcome applications from non-Catholics. However, we expect all applicants to fully support the religious ethos of the school.
Salary range is CI$49,711.00 - CI$64,400.00 per annum, depending on qualifications and experience. Other benefits include medical insurance, contribution to a pension plan, relocation allowance and end of final contract repatriation allowance. The school also offers one free school place for the child of an employee.
Contracts are for two years initially and may be extended by mutual agreement.
St. Ignatius Catholic School is required under Law and in accordance with the Archdiocese of Detroit to check the background of all employees. We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and we expect all staff to share this commitment. Decisions to appoint will be subject to consideration of an enhanced criminal background check, qualifications check and three satisfactory references.
Deadline for receipt of applications: April 16th, 2021.
St. Ignatius Catholic School
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 18 years