Inspire the next generation of leaders at Harris Academy Sutton.
We are looking for an inspirational and talented experienced teacher as Subject Leader of Media Studies, driving forward the department as our academy continues to grow.
Your role will be:
- To establish outstanding provision within Media Studies, covering all programmes, systems and structures and taking account of the academy’s vision and values
- To be accountable for student progress and development in Media Studies across KS3, KS4 and Sixth Form
- To ensure high standards of teaching and learning across Media Studies through continuously, developing and enhancing the quality of teaching and learning.
- To ensure the provision of an appropriately engaging, relevant and differentiated curriculum for students of Media Studies
- To ensure that all school policies and procedures are implemented and applied consistently by all colleagues in Media Studies
- To effectively and efficiently manage and deploy teaching/support staff, financial and physical resources across Media Studies
- To lead development for literacy within Media Studies, in turn raising standards of literacy across the Academy.
This is a rare and unique opportunity to be part of a brand new school. The academy opened in temporary accommodation in September 2018 and is now moving into its first year of GCSE studies. The academy is based in a £40 million state-of-the-art Passivhaus building situated in the centre of Sutton on the site of the London Cancer Hub.
We can offer you the opportunity to advance your career within a supportive academy environment. You will be part of a Federation established in developing practitioners and nurturing excellent future leaders, with unrivalled opportunities for progression; whatever your aspirations as a teacher, middle or senior leader, our Teaching School Alliance provides a range of bespoke courses and qualifications, including our Aspiring Leaders NPQML and NPQSL programmes to help you achieve your ambitions.
What we are looking for:
We look for talented individuals who want to be a part of transforming education in London, and helping create exceptional places of learning. are looking for a committed and passionate subject specialist to join our growing community and support our students as they look to progress into an ever-more competitive workplace. As much as the experience that candidates may bring to the role it is the attitude, character and ability to read the context of our growing Academy that will set the best apart. The successful candidate will have:
- QTS (or equivalent) and a relevant undergraduate degree, and, ideally, further relevant qualifications
- A minimum of three years' teaching experience, ideally including experience in multi-ethnic urban schools
- Experience of delivering high quality INSET to teaching staff within subject area
- Proven success in raising achievement as a subject leader or classroom practitioner
- Recent experience of involvement in innovative curriculum development. Ideas of how Language, Literacy and Numeracy can be used across the curriculum to raise standards
- Experience of embedding innovative strategies for improving teaching and learning
- Experience of managing and implementing change successfully
- Experience of using coaching as a model for ensuring on going professional development
Please download the job pack for a full job description and person specification.
Why work at Harris Academy Sutton?
- The opportunity to be part of the founding team of an academy with the highest of expectations and ambitions for its staff and students
- Unrivalled potential for personal and professional development as the academy grows
- An innovative, inclusive and happy environment in which to teach and learn, promoting academic achievement across the curriculum and encouraging participation in extra- curricular activities
- All the advantages of a highly successful academy group including strong central support, outstanding CPD opportunities through the Harris Teaching School Alliance, and a generous benefits and rewards package
About Harris Academy Sutton
Harris Academy Sutton opened in September 2018 as a brand new, state-of-the-art 11-18 co-educational academy in the heart of Sutton. With a specialism in Science, the academy collaborates closely with its neighbours on the London Cancer Hub site: the Institute of Cancer Research and the Royal Marsden Hospital. These represent two world-class organisations and together with the new six-form entry academy they form a campus community with research buildings, hospital facilities, and a reputation for excellence in the fields of research and medical provision. The academy offers a broad and balanced curriculum to the young people of Sutton: the Campus itself provides a focal point for talented scientists and clinicians by establishing world class facilities to not only attract top researchers but also to educate the life science workforce of the future. This is a unique opportunity for dynamic, motivated professionals to be part of the team helping to shape what will become the leading science educational establishment in London. It is our aim to provide a fulfilling education to the young boys and girls of Sutton that endures long after the exam results have been published.
Our Benefits Package
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package.
Being a part of the Harris Federation
We are recognised as the top performing large multi-academy trust in England for primary and secondary education. Closing the gap between young people from disadvantaged backgrounds and their peers has always been a core mission of Harris. Holding a reputation for bringing transformative approaches to education, we hold a unrivalled track record in achieving success through rapid school improvement.
Our people are at the heart of this success. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of training programmes available at every stage of your career.
We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants.
Diversity and Equality
We are committed to equality and to valuing diversity as an employer and a provider of education.
Harris Academy Sutton
- Mainstream school with state - academy funding
- Secondary with sixth form
Harris Academy Sutton: in association with the Institute of Cancer Research.
The Institute of Cancer Research (ICR) based in Sutton is one of the World's most influential cancer research organisations. The ICR is expanding onto the site of the ...