Acorn Park is an independent, specialist day and residential school that caters for children and young people aged 4 – 19 years who have autism and associated difficulties. We have a deservedly good reputation with parents and placing authorities for meeting the needs of children and young people who also have moderate or severe learning difficulties, and whose behaviour can be challenging.
Our outstanding group of teachers, care staff, learning support assistants, therapists and psychology staff work together as an integrated team, with the young person at the heart of everything we do.
In this role you will work throughout the education department using specialist knowledge and experience to support the class teachers to ensure students follow a broad-based curriculum to meet their particular needs and learning styles.
To work throughout the Education Department supporting Class Teachers to ensure the entitlement of the children and young people to a broad-based appropriate curriculum which meets their discrete needs and learning styles.
Main Responsibilities Education & Residential:
- To ensure high standards of personal hygiene for each student and support them with personal care needs
- To promote structure, boundaries and domestic routines; ensuring a pleasant, clean and safe environment for the students in your care
- To maintain good professional relationships with other members of staff and other interested parties including parents, families, social services and key stakeholders.
- To provide a positive role model for the students, presenting yourself in a highly professional manner throughout the waking day
- To work in accordance with the National Minimum Care Standards for Children’s homes and co-operate with any inspection process
- Ensure the respect, dignity and rights to privacy of all students as far as is reasonably practical
- To carry out all duties, as directed by the class teachers to maximise learning opportunities for all children and young people
- To support the development of high standards of personal hygiene and self help skills for all children and young people
- To support the development of communication skills by implementing communication goals in collaboration with Education, Multi-disciplinary team, Residential and Respite staff
- To assist with target setting, record keeping and assessment in classes
- To support the teacher in completing reports for Statutory Reviews and meetings concerning the children and young people
- To assist with the preparation of materials and learning resources
- To work with individual children and young people and small groups under the direction and planning of the teachers
- To assist with the recording of observations, using the school format and guidelines at the request of teachers
- To be a role model at all times to the children and young people
- Experience of working within a school or working with children or a young person with special needs is essential.
- GCSE’s in Maths and English, grade C or above or proven evidence of working towards relevant qualifications
- A good knowledge of Autistic Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and related conditions and how that impacts the students behaviours
- Understands the importance of issues of health and safety
- Able to quickly establish good relationships with children and young people keeping clearly understood boundaries
- Effective use of ICT to support learning
- Provide personal care
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Excellent negotiation Skills
- Ability to build rapport and establish relationships quickly and easily with children & young people
- Understands challenging behaviours associated with Autism
- Positive and flexible attitude to work
- Tact, diplomacy, patience and resilience
- Persistence, motivation and initiative
- Loyalty and commitment
- Reliable timekeeping and attendance
- Evidence of ability to priorities tasks and to work on own initiative
- Willing to undertake training
Acorn Care and Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the children and young people in our care. Successful applicants will be subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service check.