Malvern College Hong Kong is looking to appoint an enthusiastic and experienced Teacher-Librarian (MYP & DP), who has shared responsibility for the school library, working in close liaison with the PYP Teacher-Librarian, and overall responsibility for the delivery of MYP & DP Information Literacy lessons.
The successful candidate will contribute to the development and delivery of the College’s vision and values. They will be a supportive member of the staff team to help ensure the success of Malvern College Hong Kong as a leading international school in Hong Kong.
- Provide the leadership and expertise necessary to ensure that the school library programme is aligned with the mission, goals and objectives of Malvern College and meets the requirements of the MYP & DP programmes;
- Collaborate with classroom teachers and specialists to design and implement effective units of inquiry to support interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary learning;
- Plan and deliver information literacy lessons to primary classes;
- Create inquiry-based classrooms that develop critical thinking skills, knowledge and a range of skills within an environment based on trust and respect;
- In liaison with the PYP Teacher-Librarian, manage and oversee library services including operation, policies and procedures, resources, and facilities;
- In liaison with the PYP Teacher-Librarian, supervise library staff and where applicable, volunteers and student librarians;
- Promote the school’s academic honesty policy and the ethical use of information;
- In liaison with the PYP Teacher-Librarian, manage the planning, administrative and budgetary functions of the library;
- Analyse and evaluate library and information services, technology and media service requirements;
- Prepare reports related to library and information services, technology and media services, resources and activities;
- Perform cataloguing and classification of print, audio-visual, electronic and online resources;
- Maintain inventories, compile statistics and generate reports as required;
- Provide library services in response to the information needs of library users;
- Respond to daily on-site requests for information;
- Assist with any other duties, tasks or jobs as may be reasonably requested by the Headmaster.
- A relevant degree and appropriate qualifications in librarianship;
- Experience in managing library services, ideally in the education sector;
- Experience in working in an international school setting;
- Experience in working in a MYP & DP school;
- Experience or familiarity with a Library Management System (such as Destiny) is preferred;
- English proficiency at native level; some Chinese helpful although not essential;
- Strong administrative, organisational, and IT skills.
- An appreciation of the IB Philosophy is required;
- Ability to communicate with pupils, colleagues and parents, and to build strong relationships with all members of the school community;
- Ability to work collaboratively;
- Familiarity with various teaching resources including, where appropriate, digital tools to support and enhance teaching and learning;
- Sensitivity to the cultural differences found in Hong Kong and the willingness to develop and maintain a cross cultural approach to work;
- A willingness and commitment to contribute fully to the life of the pupils and school beyond the academic day, including active participation in the academic enrichment and co-curricular programmes.
All applications should be submitted online via TES. You are required to complete your online profile and supporting statement and upload your CV. You are also required to provide details of three referees.
Contract Type: Full time, Two Years
Start date: 10 August 2020 – 31 July 2022
Closing date: 23 November 2019
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted to arrange an interview via Skype. Candidates may be contacted at any stage after submitting their applications.
Malvern College Hong Kong exists to provide a quality all round education for students and is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. Candidates must be prepared to undergo child protection screening and appropriate pre-employment checks. Please note that we will need to take up the references provided in your application form prior to interview.
Please contact email@example.com for any queries about this role. Please note that a CV will not be accepted in place of the online application form.
For further information about Malvern College Hong Kong, please visit our website at http://www.malverncollege.org.hk/. To find out more about the Malvern College International family, please visit www.malverncollegeinternational.org.