Shanghai Concord Bilingual School is the first bilingual private school in Huangpu District. Shanghai Concord enjoys the full support of the Party Committee and the Huangpu District Government and adheres to the educational policies stipulated by the Huangpu District Education Bureau, but within an internationalised context.
Shanghai Concord opened its doors in September 2017 to students aged 11 and 15, Primary school aged 6 and 7 in 2018. It will quickly expand in 2019.
The school is located in the Huangpu District in the heart of Shanghai, in one of the most thriving, international and cultural areas of the city. It is our intention to provide an outstanding education for both local and international students, preparing them to be the leaders of tomorrow, confident and honest, socially engaged and creative.
Shanghai Concord is proud of its association with Concord College UK and intends to emulate its longstanding tradition in holistic education, not only producing outstanding academic results, but also enabling the students to unlock their full potential in a social context. Concord alumni have gained entrance to the finest universities around the world including Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial College and London School of Economics. Shanghai Concord mirrors the educational beliefs and practices of Concord College UK and is aiming to obtain similar outstanding results. It also embraces its core values of harmony, trust and decency and intends to build a community based on these values.
All academic staff are expected to teach to the highest possible professional standards and support and uphold the ethos, aims and objectives of the School. All teachers are expected to familiarise themselves with, and adhere to, the many and various policies and systems by which the School is managed and students cared for.
Teachers at the School are expected to be expert classroom practitioners who are able to enthuse their students and draw out of them the finest qualities. Staff are to be in sympathy with the ethos of the School, assisting with supervisory duties and also contributing to the broader cultural and/or sporting life of the School.
Teachers report to the Head of Art, Senior Management and ultimately the Principal.
The successful candidate will be expected to combine the ethos and culture of Concord College, UK within the framework of the Chinese education system. This will require an awareness of and sensitivity towards cultural differences. Experience of teaching overseas students is therefore a considerable advantage.
The post holder will be part of a team of specialist subject teachers, a team which is expected to grow rapidly as the size of the school develops. He/she will work closely with others in the department to develop the subject at all levels throughout the school. He/she needs to possess good organisational skills and also be an enthusiastic, energetic and innovative teacher who can contribute effectively to the development of the department and who is committed to flexible and varied styles of teaching and in sympathy with the aims and objectives of the school.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
- Assisting the Head of Department in reviewing curriculum needs and, selecting courses that are appropriate to the needs of our students;
- attending regular subject meetings of Art staff at which curriculum planning, student progress and teaching and learning needs discussed and good practice shared;
- thorough planning, preparation and clear presentation of lessons;
- initiating, facilitating and moderating classroom discussions;
- evaluating and grading course work, giving appropriate feedback and maintaining records of students’ progress and development;
- researching new topic areas, maintaining up-to-date subject knowledge, and devising and writing new curriculum materials as required;
- selecting and using a range of different learning resources and equipment;
- preparing students for qualifications, including external examinations;
- managing student behaviour in the classroom and on college premises;
- participating in regular departmental meetings, INSET, college training events, observation and professional review in order to maximise the quality of teaching;
- acting as personal tutor to a group of students as directed by the Principal
- Participating in the use of the WCBS database within the Department;
- supervising and, so far as is practicable, teaching any students whose teacher is not available to teach them;
- writing regular, informative and individual reports on students;
- promoting the general well-being of students and communicating with personal tutor responsible;
- participating in and organising extracurricular activities as appropriate and as required by the Senior Management;
- complying with policies and procedures, including those relating to Safeguarding and Child Protection, Health and Safety, Welfare, Smoking in the Workplace, Security, Confidentiality and Data Protection, and reporting any concerns.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Art as the sole or significant focus
- A recognised teaching qualification for the required age range
- Native level of English
- A minimum of three years’ recent experience of classroom teaching. Experience of teaching overseas and/or in an international context desirable
- Experience of teaching IGCSE and/or A level Art and Design
- Knowledge of recent and anticipated curriculum developments in GCSE Arts subjects desirable
- Practice of providing effectively for the individual needs of all children through classroom organisation, differentiation and learning strategies
- Knowledge of the needs of students with EAL in mainstream teaching
- Ability to communicate with pupils, colleagues and parents, and to build strong relationships with all members of the school community
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Familiarity with various teaching resources including, where appropriate, digital tools to support and enhance teaching and learning
- Sensitivity to the cultural differences found in China and the willingness to develop and maintain a cross cultural approach to work
- A willingness and commitment to contribute fully to the life of the pupils and school beyond the academic day, including active participation in the academic enrichment and co-curricular programmes
Hours of Work
Teachers are expected to work the hours necessary to fulfil their role to the highest possible professional standards, and be available for all scheduled lessons, duties, meetings and other associated activities. Academic staff are also expected to actively support college events as far as possible, and contribute to the broader life of the college.
Remuneration and Benefits
Details of remuneration and benefits are given in formal offer letters and contracts of employment.
Successful candidates are offered a point on the salary scale which is appropriate to their qualifications and experience. Housing allowance, return flights and business medical insurance are included in the package.
Induction of New Staff
There is to be a thorough induction programme for new staff. The main induction will take place just prior to the start of the new academic year at the end of August, it is anticipated that the successful applicant will take up their post Aug 2019.
In September 2019 we will have students in Grades 6-8 in the Middle School and Grades 10-12 in the High School. The youngest students follow the compulsory Chinese curriculum, alongside intensive English and bilingual extension courses. The successful applicant will display an ability to teach Art and Design from Grade 7 to 12 with a focus and strength in the IGCSE and/or A level Art courses.
How to apply
If you are interested in the position, please click “Quick Apply”, then we will receive your CV.
Interviews will take place at SCBS in Shanghai or via Skype/Wechat.