Teacher of Biology with A-Level Specialism
Start Date: as soon as possible
Are you passionate about teaching Biology, especially at A-Level? Are you looking for a school with fantastic teaching staff who are innovative and forward-thinking? Then come and join us at West London Free School.
WLFS is based in Hammersmith, West London. We are a non-selective school, which provides an excellent work environment, values the importance of staff wellbeing and encourages career progression.
Key characteristics of the role include:
• To be a model of excellent practice, maintaining a clear focus on the outstanding delivery of Biology, especially at Key Stage 5.
• To stimulate and encourage pupils to a high standard of interest and work in the subject, ensuring that the needs of the individual are met.
• To assist the Head of Department in the implementation of schemes of work for Key Stage 3 to 5, and to monitor their subsequent effectiveness.
• To monitor the progress of pupils according to the department and school assessment policy and to advise on set changes.
• To show a commitment to enhancing the quality of teaching and learning in the department by taking part in sharing resources, collaborative teaching, mentoring and active participation in continuing professional development.
The successful candidate will:
• Demonstrate the ability to teach Biology at Key Stages 3 to 5 to all ability ranges, including SEN pupils, with excellent classroom management skills. Experience and success at teaching A-Level Biology is essential.
• have a passion for Biology with exceptional subject knowledge and be able to communicate their enjoyment of the subject to pupils, strive to maintain the highest academic standards and promote a genuine passion for the subject and its place in today’s world;
• have excellent team working skills;
• effective and efficient communication skills with both pupils and staff;
• have an understanding and commitment to the ethos of the school;
• have an outstanding track record of teaching Biology and outcomes for pupils at both GCSE and A-Level;
• be committed to a rigorous, knowledge-based curriculum;
• offer a commitment to extra-curricular activities.
The West London Free School aims to provide all pupils, irrespective of their background, with a Classical Liberal education. We have a distinctive school culture built on a passion for bringing rich, demanding and inspiring knowledge to pupils of all abilities. We treasure the subject knowledge of staff, we value their passion for continuing to grow as subject specialists and we support their subject-specific development. There is a firm and fair approach to behaviour, systematically supported by senior staff: all pupil detentions are centralised and run by senior staff every day. Teachers are therefore able to prioritise the planning and teaching of subject knowledge. School leaders all teach, love their subjects, understand workload pressures and are highly visible around school.
We place a heavy emphasis on the acquisition of core knowledge through the study of traditional subjects. Our pupils in each year group are enthusiastic and making excellent progress in all three Science specialisms.
The West London Free School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. The successful candidate will be subject to an enhanced DBS check.
Application deadline: Tuesday 20th January 2020. Interviews will take place shortly after the closing date.
If you have any queries, please contact Sarah Noel at email@example.com.