Teacher of Business and Economics
Full Time or Part-time 0.7
Dean Close Senior School is a thriving independent, co-educational day and boarding school set on a beautiful 50-acre site on the edge of Cheltenham. The School currently has approximately 500 pupils between the ages of 13-18 years. Founded in 1886, Dean Close has a strong Christian ethos and is a happy and supportive working environment. Situated on the site are the Senior, Preparatory and Pre-Preparatory schools which share many of the fantastic facilities on offer, including a £3m Sports Hall, purpose-built Music and Art Schools, water-based astro pitches and a 550 seat professional Theatre. Dean Close School is part of the Dean Close Foundation which includes not only the Prep and Pre-Prep Schools in Cheltenham, but also Dean Close St John’s on the Hill Prep and Pre-Prep Schools in Chepstow, three Nursery Schools and Dean Close Services Ltd.
The Business and Economics Department has four full-time teachers due to the growth in the popularity of both subjects. The Department teaches both subjects at GCSE and both subjects at A Level. In recent years we have been successful in generating excellent value-added results as well as attaining success at Oxbridge entrance. To support departmental growth there are plans to extend and improve departmental space. This well-qualified, dynamic team encourages innovation inside and outside the classroom and it provides an excellent working environment.
Full details about the department can be found at:
We are seeking to recruit someone with a passion for Business and Economics. This might come from having studied one or both subjects at degree level, or you might have experience of working in the commercial world and be looking to make a career change into teaching. We are also open to the possibility of filling this position for a fixed period of two terms, part-time or full-time or as a full-time, permanent appointment.
The position reports to the Head of Business and Economics.
The role includes the following responsibilities:
· Responsibility for the teaching and learning of pupils who study Business and Economics within the allocated teaching sets
· Attending and contributing to department meetings
· Supporting the Head of Department with some delegated departmental tasks
· Communicating effectively with the Head of Department, parents, tutors and house masters/mistresses on matters relating to pupils
· Attending Parents’ Receptions/Meetings
· Attending INSET sessions
· Participating in Whole School projects which take place from time to time
The position also requires the post-holder to be willing and able to take part in the broader life of this busy day and boarding school including the sport and games programme, co-curricular commitments, tutoring and working within the House system. In return, we offer the opportunity to be part of the Dean Close community, to benefit from our approach towards career and personal development and the chance to have fun working with our pupils and fellow teachers.
· Ability and desire to learn about teaching and pedagogy
· Ability to inspire and teach pupils of different abilities and backgrounds in a co-educational context
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills
· High professional standards and integrity
· Strong organisational skills with the ability to meet deadlines and to prioritise within a busy boarding school environment
· Good ICT skills
Qualifications and Experience
· An Honours degree, (or Masters) in Economics or Business (or similar) is essential
· Some experience of the commercial world could be beneficial
· Some experience of teaching or of education would be advantageous
Negotiable, but expected to be in the region of £26,000 to £40,000 per annum for a full-time equivalent. Accommodation might be available in return for duties in our boarding community.
Completed application forms and a CV, together with a covering letter should be returned to the HR Manager, Dean Close School, Shelburne Road, Cheltenham, GL51 6HE. Tel 01242 267415, Email: email@example.com by 12.00pm on 27th November.
Dean Close School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.