Teacher of Chemistry and/or Physics
Location: Dunnotar School, Reigate, Surrey
Salary: Competitive dependent on experience
Closing date: Monday 15 January 2018
Commencing September 2018
Dunottar is a co-educational school for pupils aged 11-18 set in extensive grounds of 15 acres on the outskirts of Reigate. Having joined United Learning in March 2014, the school became co-educational in September 2014, with boys joining Dunottar for the first time. With a new Headmaster in September 2017, the school is on a very exciting journey. The school is experiencing fast growth in pupil numbers and it recently announced a £6.6Million capital development programme to build a new Sixth Form Centre and a whole school Assembly Hall to accommodate future growth.
Dunottar is a great place to work, with a team of highly professional and committed teachers and support staff. We incorporate best practice from independent schools and academies right across the United Learning Group, whilst retaining our unique, friendly ethos. Pupils are nurtured to make significant personal progress at the same time as achieving excellent academic results. United Learning is an outstanding organisation which prides itself on providing a working and learning environment which encourages ‘the best in everyone’. You will join a network of staff belonging to 60 other schools, with opportunities to engage with fellow professionals which far exceed what one school could achieve on its own. Personal development and career opportunities are excellent.
All science subjects are taught separately in Years 7-11 and from Year 9, pupils commence their Science GCSEs taking AQA science in Biology, Chemistry and Physics. The department has an abundance of resources and a culture of sharing good practice. At A-level the AQA Physics and Chemistry specification is followed and several pupils from Dunottar go on to read the sciences at University.
There is a full and active program of weekly science events during lunchtimes and after school, alongside other enrichment opportunities for all pupils. The successful candidate will make a valued and proactive contribution to these initiatives and bring to the role their own creative approach to the delivery of Science both inside and out of the classroom. They will also play an active role in the extensive and varied co-curricular program, both during the working week and some weekends.
We are seeking to appoint a high calibre and enthusiastic teacher to join this successful department. Someone who is able to stimulate curiosity, interest and enjoyment in the sciences. The position would suit an experienced teacher looking to move to a new school, a teacher looking for a second appointment or an NQT seeking to carry out teacher training in Physics or Chemistry completed through United Teaching (www.unitedteaching.org.uk).
- A record of excellent academic achievement including a relevant honours degree
- High levels of personal and professional integrity
- Self-confidence, personal energy and dynamism
- Personal warmth, good rapport with pupils, colleagues and parents
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent oral and written English skills
- Appropriate levels of personal presentation
- Confident use of ICT.
Teaching and Learning
- Enthusiasm for, and an excellent knowledge of the relevant curriculum
- Evidence of creative and innovative approaches to teaching and learning including the appropriate use of ICT
- Commitment to improving, monitoring and evaluating teaching and learning
- An ability to make all pupils feel valued and involved in your lessons.
Philosophy and Ethos
- A commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people
- High expectations for pupil attainment, personal development and conduct
- Commitment to best practice in pastoral support and student welfare
- Commitment to helping with co-curricular activities and curriculum enrichment.
For more information
For a confidential discussion about this role, please contact: Chloe Kendrick, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01737 761945.
Please apply online by clicking on the following link https://unitedlearning.current-vacancies.com/Jobs/Advert/1116736?cid=1567&jobtitle=Dunottar.Teaching.Staff&location=Reigate%2c.Surrey&rsid=11830&ad=606674