Dean Close School is a thriving independent, co-educational day and boarding school set on a beautiful 50-acre site on the edge of Cheltenham. The School currently has approximately 900 pupils between the ages of 3-18 years. Founded in 1886, Dean Close has a strong Christian ethos and is a happy and supportive working environment.
The School is seeking to appoint a teacher of Classics to start in September 2020. This is a large and busy department which teaches Latin, Greek and Classical Civilisation from Years 9-13. The team is committed to the dissemination of the cultural achievements of Greece and Rome and it has an excellent reputation within the South West region. Pupil numbers have been very healthy across all three subjects in recent years.
The department has an excellent track record of examination results at GCSE, A level and Oxbridge entrance. Trips to Greece, Turkey, Sicily and mainland Italy have been organised in recent years. The school has its own Latin and Greek reading competition and also participates in the Gloucestershire competition. The department runs a sixth form Latin set texts morning and a regular programme of lectures. For full details about the department, please see the Classics department website by following the link below:
- The position reports to the Head of Classics and involves teaching a full timetable.
- The role includes the following responsibilities:
- Responsible for the teaching and learning of pupils who study Latin, Greek and Classical Civilisation from years 9-13 within the allocated teaching sets.
- Attending and contributing to department meetings
- Supporting the Head of Department with some delegated departmental tasks.
- Communicating effectively with the Head of Department, parents, tutors and house masters/mistresses on matters relating to pupils.
- Attending Parents’ Receptions/Meetings.
- Attending INSET sessions.
- Participating in whole school projects which take place from time to time.
The position also requires the post-holder to be willing and able to take a significant part in the broader life of this busy day and boarding school including the sport and games programme, co-curricular commitments, tutoring and working within the House system. This commitment includes some evening and weekend requirements.
• Ability to inspire and teach pupils of different abilities and backgrounds in a co-educational context.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• High professional standards and integrity.
• Strong organisational skills with the ability to meet deadlines and to prioritise within a busy boarding school environment.
• Good ICT skills.
Qualifications and Experience
• A strong educational track record including an Honours Degree in Classics (and preferably a teaching qualification).
• This role could suit either a NQT or a teacher with more experience of teaching Classics in a senior school.
• Ability to teach Latin and Greek to A2 level (and up to Oxbridge would be an advantage).
Completed application forms and a CV, together with a covering letter should be returned to the HR Manager, Dean Close School, Shelburne Road, Cheltenham, GL51 6HE. Tel 01242 267415 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org by 9am on the closing date.
Dean Close School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Closing Date for applications: 9am, Friday 31th January 2020