Tes is seeking an outstanding Teacher of Classics to join one of the country's foremost independent boys school from September 2020.
This is an exciting opportunity to join one of the country’s foremost independent boys schools that has an extensive and thriving co-curricular programme to which a contribution will be expected. The School boasts exceptional grounds and facilities and was also recently awarded an 'exceptional' rating by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI) for pupils’ achievements and learning.
The School has an excellent library and specialist facilities for Art, Science, Technology, ICT and Languages. The Millennium Boat House, enjoys a prime location on the nearby River Thames and provides the focal point for the schools' renowned and highly successful Boat Club.
The nearby neighbourhoods offer a village-like atmosphere with numerous independent shops, restaurants and thriving sports clubs and arts associations. Slightly further afield, the riverside towns of Richmond and Twickenham, and the larger towns of Kingston, Wimbledon and Guildford have much to offer and are easily accessible. Central London is a 40-minute train ride away. The boroughs of Richmond upon Thames, Kingston and Spelthorne are ideal for families, with a broad choice of schools.
The school is searching for an inspirational and well-qualified graduate that is required to teach Classics in a lively, forward-thinking and successful department. Latin, Greek and Ancient History are taught up to A2 level and Oxbridge level. The ability to teach Ancient History would be an advantage. The Classics Department currently has five full time and two part-time members of staff. The department is a lively and forward thinking one, keen to embrace new ideas and cutting edge technology. All members of the department have a school laptop, and the option of a school iPad. The School Library is likewise well stocked with Classical texts and secondary literature, and subscribes to Omnibus and Massolit.
The post would suit a well-qualified graduate or an experienced teacher and Hampton has its own generous salary scale. NQTs are provided with an appropriate programme of induction leading to QTS, valid across both sectors. Accommodation may also be available for the successful applicant.
Nearly all pupils go on to undergraduate courses at elite UK universities or medical schools. Around 25 pupils gain places at Oxford and Cambridge each year; an increasing number go on to study at American Ivy League universities, often on academic and sporting scholarships.
The School Can Offer:
- Generous salary scale which is significantly above that found in the maintained sector
- Teachers’ Pension Scheme is provided for all teaching staff and a money purchase scheme is offered to support staff
- In addition to any Pension Scheme benefits, the School currently has a policy which pays two years’ salary in the event of the death of a member of staff to a nominated dependant(s)
- Health Care provision is available for all members of staff earning above an annual threshold
- Cycle to work scheme
- Staff are covered for permanent disability resulting from an accident at School or on School trips
- Staff are provided with complimentary lunch in a well-appointed staff dining room
- Hot drinks and snacks are also provided throughout the day
- Staff can use the School multi-gym at certain times
- Free on-site parking, subject to availability
You Will Have:
- A good honours from a reputable university ideally in Classics
- An enthusiasm for Classics and the ability to convey this to pupils
- The ability to demonstrate characteristics of outstanding teaching practice
- An awareness of the demands of teaching bright students and a commitment to fostering high academic achievement
To apply for this role, please fill in the attached application form. If you would like to find out more information, please email email@example.com REF KR 1316050