Closing date: 8:00am, Friday 5 May 2017 (We will review applications and invite applicants to interview on a rolling basis)
Start date: September 2017
Job Purpose: To inspire, encourage and empower our students to achieve their very best in the subject of Classics (Latin, Classical Civilisation and, ideally, Greek)
- Possess and maintain a deep and secure knowledge of your subject and the pedagogy associated with its teaching.
- Create a challenging and stimulating classroom climate that will motivate pupils to learn, think independently, take risks, empathise with others, and perform to the best of their abilities.
- Support every pupil in his/her learning, making him/her feel included, secure and valued.
- Be consistent, fair and create an atmosphere of mutual trust and respect.
- Be aware of the learning needs of the pupils you teach and ensure that each pupil is given every opportunity to fulfil his/her potential.
- Monitor progress against prior attainment and employ effective intervention strategies when required
- Follow the guidance and schemes of work provided by the Head of Department.
- Plan lessons carefully and keep a record of your planning
- Undertake the preparation, marking and report writing, in line with the School policies, required to ensure that pupils achieve the highest possible standards.
- Conduct yourself in an appropriate professional manner at all times and support and foster the aims and safeguarding policies of the School.
- All staff are required to be a Tutor if requested to carry out that role. The role of the Tutor is academic, pastoral and administrative. The Tutor has oversight of his/her tutees’ general well-being and academic progress, and is the main point of contact for parents.
- Contribute to the organisation and running of co-curricular and enrichment activities.
- Uphold the School’s code of conduct and the values of Surbiton High School.
- Maintain good order and discipline amongst pupils and be active in implementing the School’s policies on rewards and sanctions.
- Attend formal parents’ evenings and communicate with parents, at other times, as necessary.
- Attend staff and departmental meetings as required.
- Undertake supervisory duties as required.
- Carrying out any such duties as may be reasonably requested.
- Contribute, as appropriate, to departmental policies, schemes of work, digital learning and other resources as well as development planning.
- Attend relevant CPD training each year.
- Participate in the annual performance review, appraisal and development programme.
- There may be particular responsibilities linked to the subject that may be added when necessary.
The successful candidate will be likely to fit the following profile:
- An Honours degree in a classical subject
- A Levels in both Latin and/or Classical Civilisation will be a distinct advantage
- A Levels in both Latin and Greek will be a distinct advantage
- A postgraduate teaching qualification is desirable
- A NQT or more experienced teacher
- Evidence of further relevant professional development would be an advantage
- The ability to inspire, motivate and support pupils and colleagues
- Have a vision for and the ability to translate the Surbiton High School strategy into reality
- The ability to work in a team in a successful and dynamic School
- Excellent organizational, administrative and ICT skills
- A proven track record of delivering on academic performance
- Evidence of successful, inspiring and innovative teaching at all levels
- Experience of leading and collaborating with colleagues
- Up-to-date knowledge of successful and innovative teaching and the latest curriculum developments and initiatives
- High levels of personal and professional integrity and the ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality
- Personal warmth to gain the confidence of pupils, staff and parents
- Positive rapport with pupils
- High standards of personal presence and presentation and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate concisely and sensitively, both orally and in writing, to a variety of audiences
- A healthy sense of humour
- A team player with leadership qualities
- A reflective and flexible approach
- Organized and able to self-direct
- Positive, enthusiastic and energetic approach to life, with a can-do attitude
- Ability to think creatively and imaginatively
- Committed to the Surbiton High School’s ethos
- High expectations for pupil attainment, personal development and conduct
- Committed to representing the strategic vision for the School
- Ambitious and aspirational for oneself and for the School
- Committed to professional development and show a willingness to undertake appropriate training for this role
Please apply online by clicking on the following link: https://www.networxrecruitment.com/Jobs/Advert/676917
Please note that the School reserves the right to appoint at any stage during the recruitment process.
For any queries relating to the role or your application, please email email@example.com