“To me, programming is more than an important practical art. It is also a gigantic undertaking in the foundations of knowledge.” – Grace Hopper, computer science pioneer
We need talented a teacher of computer science to join our hugely successful team. We need someone who loves their subject: someone who loves it so much about it they are determined to instil this love in their pupils and grow the next generation of computer science geeks.
But why bring your talent to Barr Beacon?
Quite simply, we believe in common sense approaches to everything. Our teachers work very hard but they only ever do the things which are going to make a difference for our pupils. That means:
- Compared with most schools, our teachers do minimal marking. Why bother when there are much better ways to give pupils the feedback they need?
- We never ask for lesson plans. Of any kind. Ever.
- We don’t have a teaching and learning policy because we trust teachers to decide the best approaches for their pupils.
- There is no pressure to ‘put on a show’ in lessons: A culture of typicality is reinforced by no lesson gradings (outstanding, good, etc).
- Everyone has the highest expectations of behaviour, with all staff (not just teaching staff) reinforcing those expectations.
- A clear system of sanctions which is applied consistently so staff don’t have to have battles with pupils.
- Senior Leadership are very visible and all staff ‘own’ their corridors.
- CPD is tailored specifically to staff needs, based off their feedback. This includes a fully funded Masters programme available to everyone.
- There are no prizes for looking busy or staying late – we work in a way that suits us we make sure you make time for ourselves and our families.
That’s just 9 of the things we do to secure our teachers’ well-being. There are many more here: http://www.barrbeaconschool.co.uk/47-things-we-do-staff-well-being/
There’s a real buzz about the place which no amount of words can convey, so please come to see Barr Beacon School for yourself.
If you are already interested in joining us, visit www.barrbeaconschool.co.uk to download an application form and send it to Lynsey Draycott: LDraycott@barrbeaconschool.co.uk
Closing date: Monday 20th May
Early applications welcome