The STEM focussed Greater Peterborough UTC has an exciting opportunity to join us as a Teacher of Design and Technology. This role has previously been filled by motivated and inspiring Design Technology Teachers who have a passion for design and construction. The successful candidate will work within the flagship department of the ever-improving UTC and will work closely with our construction sponsors to bring the curriculum to life.
Working directly for the Faculty Manager of Engineering within Key Stage 4 and 5 you will be a part of a small team focused on excellence in all we do with STEM in our hearts.
Utilising WJEC for Key Stage 4 and BTEC for Key Stage 5 , our Architecture and Built Environment department is fully resourced and supported by the Engineering Faculty for you to make your own to deliver from Spring 22.
Teaching and Learning
- Consistently deliver inspiring lessons and ensure that outstanding learning experiences are consistent within the faculty which engage and excite our students
- Promote and enforce the GPUTC Learning cycle to staff and students
- Work with a team of colleagues to evaluate teaching, marking, feedback and progress.
- Gather feedback from students and respond positively to suggestions for improvement.
- Develop an inclusive and supportive approach so that all students feel welcome and supported in their learning in your faculty
- Set work for classes for planned absence and, where possible, for unplanned absence for yourself and also for absent colleagues.
Raising Aspiration, Achievement and Attainment
- Be accountable for students’ progress and attainment in all classes taught and for overall Faculty results.
- Have high expectations of students in achieving their academic targets, irrespective of background.
- Work with the Director of Progress to use assessment data to set challenging targets for students and to accurately track their progress, with a focus on groups and gaps.
- Use accurate assessment methods to understand and track the progress of every student and design appropriate strategies to support their learning.
- Address the needs and aspirations of each student through personalised learning.
- Maintain subject expertise across relevant Key Stages and qualifications.
- Develop subject expertise, especially in areas with a lack of experience or with new qualifications.
- Design and implement a curriculum in specified subject areas which meets the needs of all students, is consistent with the UTC’s vision and values and fulfils statutory requirements.
- Ensure that opportunities are taken to develop the curriculum to reflect the specialist ethos of the UTC and which prepares students for their range of future possibilities.
- Ensure that students understand how the curriculum is relevant to the world of work and develops their workplace skills.
- Support student development of literacy and numeracy skills throughout their experience.
- Have an attitude of flexibility to teach other subjects with appropriate support and CPD.
- Contribute to a flourishing enrichment programme which provides a broad and stimulating experience for all students.
Developing the Organisation
- Promote the UTC’s values across staff and students incorporating employer engagement with sponsors and business partners.
- Contribute significantly to student recruitment, through attending events in the UTC and elsewhere and promoting the UTC.
- Promote workplace skills through discussion with students and by demonstrating them in a professional approach.
- Work with the Leadership Team to critically evaluate the UTC’s performance and influence change.
- Contribute to the CPD of other staff using your own expertise and seek opportunities to develop personal knowledge and skills.
- Be efficient with resources and mindful of waste to ensure value for money.
- Ensure effective use of all technological and pedagogical resources.
- Work in partnership with parents/carers ensuring that they have full information about the progress of their children and contribute to their learning.
- Act with integrity and honesty to ensure a high standard of care and safeguarding for all our students.
- Comply with health and safety rules and legislation, ensuring the safety of students and staff at all times.
- Provide a highly visible presence to students and colleagues through the day, including break duties.
- Attend open evenings, parental events, progress review meetings and other dedicated activities, as required.
- Act in compliance with Data Protection legislation in respecting the privacy of personal information.
- Comply with the principles of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 in relation to the management of UTC records and information.
- To act as a Mentor / Crew Lead to small student groups to ensure daily communication.
- Undertake additional duties as may be reasonably directed by the Principal or Line Manager where they meet the priorities of the UTC.
Greater Peterborough University Technical College (GPUTC) is a STEM specialist school currently for students aged 11 – 19. Located in Peterborough city centre, the £12 million school opened in September 2016 to help create the city’s future scientist...