From August 2020, the school wishes to appoint an outstanding teacher of EAL to deliver EAL support across the Secondary School.
Our students are predominately Myanmar and learning English as a second or third language. To enable all students to access the curriculum, we feel the best support is for specialist EAL teachers to be part of the lesson, working with groups of students to support their work. For these lessons, the EAL teacher would work side by side with the class teacher to plan activities and feedback on the learning. We also need to adapt to the needs of the students and work with small groups or individuals away from the lesson where appropriate.
We really value our EAL department and are looking for truly outstanding teachers to assist the head of EAL in monitoring the progress of students and year groups and providing co-curricular and extra-curricular activities to engage, extend and inspire the students.
The successful candidate will:
- Hold at least a good honours degree;
- Have a recognised teaching qualification (e.g. PGCE or PGCEi);
- Have experience and excellent knowledge of teaching children across Key Stage 3 and 4;
- Have experience working with students for whom English is not their first language;
- Have a minimum of 2 years of teaching experience;
- Be willing to participate in educational visits;
- Be asked to run one after school activity each term;
- Have a positive and solution finding approach to their working life;
- Appreciate the joys and challenges of working in an international school environment.
Candidates with experience of teaching in an international primary school are especially welcome. Experience of working at a CIS member / accredited school would be an added advantage but is not essential.
Desirable Personal Qualities
The ability to develop strong relationships with their students;
- A patient, caring and kind personality;
- Knowledgeable of Learners;
- A dedication to teaching;
- Able to engage all students with their learning;
- A strong communicator;
- A good listener;
- A team player;
- Be adaptable to change;
- Value real-world learning.
If you would like to be considered for this post, please apply by completing the application process listed on our school's webpage:
Closing date: Tuesday, February 12th 2019
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest and for taking the time to apply; however please note that only applicants short-listed for interview will be contacted. Early applications are encouraged as interviews will take place on a rolling basis as soon as suitable candidates are identified.
Successful appointments will be subject to satisfactory references and verification of qualifications. The Myanmar International School of Yangon is committed to safeguarding the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening including checks with previous employers and national/international disclosure services.