Malvern College Hong Kong is looking to appoint an enthusiastic and experienced Teacher of English as an Additional Language (EAL) (PYP).
The successful candidates will contribute to the development and delivery of the College’s vision and values. They will be a supportive member of the staff team to help ensure the success of Malvern College Hong Kong as a leading international school in Hong Kong.
- Work closely with the Head of Learning Enhancement (LE), PYP Curriculum Co-ordinator and colleagues to ensure the effective delivery of the PYP programme and to design and implement a relevant, challenging and rigorous curriculum;
- Develop and implement delivery of the EAL program according to the College’s curriculum plans and expectations;
- Work collaboratively with Head of LE and classroom teachers to design and deliver courses of English Language to all pupils with English language needs, using content-based instruction as a means of developing linguistic ability;
- Identify pupils in need of EAL support upon entry into the College by assisting the Head of Primary in conducting individual and group assessments using the WIDA Screener assessment tools; and
- Develop and update EAL learner profiles detailing linguistic, cultural, experiential and social & emotional assets in accordance with the College’s Inclusion Policy.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in English;
- A recognised teaching qualification for the required age range (e.g. B.Ed., PGCE);
- Appropriate training and qualification in the teaching of EAL;
- Minimum two years’ teaching experience in EAL education;
- Previous experience of teaching the IB PYP is preferred, although outstanding candidates without prior IB experience will be considered;
- An appreciation of the IB Philosophy is required;
- Prior IB training is required before taking up the post at minimum Category 1 level.
- Ability to communicate with pupils, colleagues and parents, and to build strong relationships with all members of the College community;
- Ability to work collaboratively;
- Familiarity with various teaching resources including, where appropriate, digital tools to support and enhance teaching and learning;
- Sensitivity to the cultural differences found in Hong Kong and the willingness to develop and maintain a cross-cultural approach to work; and
- A willingness and commitment to contribute fully to the life of the pupils and College beyond the academic day, including active participation in the academic enrichment and co-curricular programmes.
Please refer to the attached job description for details.
Applicants who have applied recently need not re-apply.
All applications should be submitted online via TES. You are required to complete your online profile and supporting statement and upload your CV with a photo. You are also required to provide details of three referees.
Contract Type: Full time, Two Years
Start date: 10 August 2020
Closing date: 19 February 2020
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted to arrange an interview via Skype. Candidates may be contacted at any stage after submitting their applications.
Malvern College Hong Kong exists to provide a quality all round education for students and is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. Candidates must be prepared to undergo child protection screening and appropriate pre-employment checks. Please note that we will need to take up the references provided in your application form prior to interview.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any queries about this role. Please note that a CV will not be accepted in place of the online application form.
For further information about Malvern College Hong Kong, please visit our website at http://www.malverncollege.org.hk/. To find out more about the Malvern College International family, please visit www.malverncollegeinternational.org